Chapter 06

"How are you doing today, Miss Hooper?" Dumbledore said again when he realized I was lost for words, caught off guard to see all the professors there, staring down at me.

     I opened my mouth to respond, but I my words were cut off harshly.

     "Oh, forget it, Dumbledore!" Snape exclaimed. "What can you possibly expect from a stupid Muggle?" He said the word with disgust, as if I weren't standing there.

     "You don't see what I see, Severus." Dumbledore answered patiently, sitting behind his desk and looking upon me, as if reading my every thoughts.

     "Will you please get out of my head? I'm not really fond of it." I said with a frown.

     Dumbledore chuckled. "See, Severus? She knows exactly what's going on."

     "But how can she? Are her family wizards and witches? Is she a squib?" said Professor Flitwick curiously.

     "No, Of course not." said Snape. "There's not an ounce of magical blood in her veins, for Merlin's sake!"

     "Then how could she have passed the barrier?" Professor McGonagall asked, still acting like I wasn't in the room. "Muggles aren't even supposed to be able to see Hogwarts!"

     "Can she be a Muggleborn witch? Perhaps there was a mistake in her owl delivery?" Professor Sprout suggested kindly.

     "No. There is never a mistake with the mail. Besides, Professor McGonagall visits the Muggleborns to inform them, not just by mail," said Dumbledore.

     "If any other Muggle was to come upon all this, they would have fainted at the sight of ghosts and a talking hat. These aren't ordinary things in the Muggle world, unless you haven't noticed," said Mad-eye Moody, who was suspiciously quiet until then.

     "How about we just let the poor girl speak for herself?" said Professor Sprout and they all turned their glances towards me again. "How did you know about this place, dear?"

     I gulped nervously, taking a deep breath in a helpless attempt to calm my heartbeat. "I... I don't know what happened, and I have no idea how I ended up here. All I know is that one second I was cosplaying with my friend, but the next thing I know, I cross through the barrier and enter the Wizarding world. Not only that, but I've also..." I took another shaky breath. "It seems like I've been sent back in time."

"But how do you even know about this world?" Professor McGonagall asked.

"I've read about it in a book," I said hesitantly, trying to give as little detail as possible now that Barty Crouch was present in the room. I didn't want to mess with the timeline, so I knew I had to keep quiet about certain things.

     The Professors exchanged confused looks, but it was only Dumbledore who was at the edge of his seat, smiling and saying repeatedly, "How interesting."

     "What does that supposed to mean, Albus?" said Professor McGonagall, again ignoring my presence.

     Dumbledore again stood off his seat and came towards me, examining me closely, as if I were the most curious creature in the world.

     "And what is this book, Miss Hooper?" He asked.

     "In my timeline, where I come from, there's a book about this place, written by J.K Rowling. About your world," I explained, careful with my each and every word.

Dumbledore's twinkling eyes were locked with mine, but then, I saw him throw a quick glance at Mad-Eye Moody from across the room.

I had a strong feeling that Dumbledore had once again used Legilimancy on me, but perhaps he didn't want to mess with the timeline either, which was why he didn't say anything about Moody's imposter.

For the greater good, I remembered his words.

     "But how is this even possible?" McGonagall asked apprehensively.

     Dumbledore stepped away, pacing around the room for a few minutes in silence, his hands locked together behind his back, as he thought deeply.

     "She's telling the truth," Dumbledore at last. "She's been sent from the future."

     He went on, "In the timeline which she comes from, everything has been over; in our favor or not, I do not know. But I'm guessing someone has been selling the events that have taken place at Hogwarts to a Muggle writer. Or rather, have put themselves as an undercover muggle writer to sell the stories, under the name of J.K Rowling. Therefore our beloved Muggle here, Lexi Hooper, has read the books and now that she has somehow traveled to the past – our present  – knows exactly what's going to happen next, and just how to give an end to it."

     Professor Sprout gasped, Professor Flitwick looked as if he could've fallen down, and even Snape looked shocked.

    But conjuring all my courage, I finally blurted out, "So you're telling me J.K Rowling has lived through these years of Hogwarts and she's written stories based on reality? That I'm from her timeline and now after I've read her books I've somehow magically traveled to past – to your timeline – so I could save everyone based on the knowledge that I have of your future?"

     But instead of answering me, Dumbledore gently asked, "Tell me, Miss Hooper, how old are you?"

     "Fourteen, sir."

     "And what year were you born?"

     "1993. Why is that important–?"

     "–So if my calculations are correct," he interrupted me, "I imagine you believe that it is year 2007 right now, am I right?"

     "Yes." I nodded. "My present is the first of September, year 2007."

     "But for us, Miss Hooper, as in right now, it is year 1994."

"She does seem a bit tired. I think we've exhausted her enough for tonight," said Professor Sprout as she saw the dazed yet dreamy expression on my face. "How about you go to your common room and get some sleep, Miss Hooper?"

     I nodded weakly, my mind a haze ans my ears buzzing dully. So after McGonagall gave me directions to the Gryffindor common room, I bid them all a goodnight and by that, I turned on my heels and left the room, hoping not to come across Peeves as I tried to find the Fat Lady's portrait.