Chapter 161: WYH VI

Power, prestige, wealth are all the things I never aspired to achieve. I understood the importance of it knowing that I was granted privileges many could only dream of. However, I never did experience the contentment of affection. It wasn't until when I met Mu Dan that I understood it. How reassuring it could be when someone can accept you as who you truly are. For the longest time, I felt like an instrument to be used by my parents for their own gain. I was tuned, constructed, forged to be a perfect being in all aspects. 

Mu Dan doesn't care if I'm intelligent, rich nor if I had any impressive political connections. She treasured my existence as it is in all its rawness, all the imperfections that I had shaven to hide below the surface.

And I don't care if she is reduced to someone as mindless as a child, I am willing to be there for her and cherish her.

It was an impulsive decision to run away, but I've always wondered if everything will just fall into place if I took Mu Dan by the hand, and we ran off to a place where no one knew us. We'd leave everything behind and start anew.

"Yi Huai, how long are we going to stay here?" Mu Dan asks me as we are having dinner in a tavern. We'd been staying here for the last two days. I know we mustn't stay for long or else my father's people would surely catch up to us.

"We'll leave soon. Eat your food," I say.

"I miss Grandma." She places her head on the table and mope.

Mu Dan's attachment to Guo Nai Nai is not something easy to sever. It was never my intention to do so. I know it will hurt her if I do not allow her to see her Grandmother again.

"I know you do. I told you this living situation will only be for awhile. We will go back and visit your grandmother soon." I take a sip of tea, watching her reaction.

"Aw." She sits up but her face still looks like she's about to cry.

I use my chopsticks to place a piece of vegetable in front of her mouth. "Here."

Mu Dan takes the food into her mouth and chews slowly.

We couldn't sustainably live in a tavern for long. It would be best if we could find a hidden place to take shelter for awhile. As we moved south, I'd ask around for property to purchase. It didn't have to be anything fancy, just manageable. I had to be careful with the money I brought and not splurge on things I'd consider basic needs in the past.

In a small town, I'd purchase a small homely house near the outskirts. Before heading there with Mu Dan, we stopped by a bookstore. I just wanted to take a look at the newest literature texts. I could not bring my whole entire collection with me, and it was a whole ordeal figuring out which ones to bring and which to leave behind.

"Legend of Yun, it's the newest edition to the series..." I trace my fingers over the cover. I want to know what happens to the main character in his new adventures. In the past, I would have bought the novel without a second thought.

Looking over to Mu Dan, I see she has no interests in books and twirled about while flipping through pages of a random book. Her clothes and shoes weren't in the best shape. I couldn't have my wife be seen with such an appearance. Taking her by the hand, we leave the marketplace and head home.

"Yi Huai, this will be our home now?" Mu Dan scratches her head.

"Yeah... Well, for now."

"It's so dirty! Look at the cobwebs and dried leaves!" She points to the obvious mess.

"I know, Mu Dan. It's not the best place, but it's what we can afford at the moment. Why don't we clean the yard and then organize the interior? You're good at cleaning, right?"