Ch. 27

I feel Alix's strong hands grab my hips and slid me towards him from across the bed until my backside is flush against his frontside. The sun is peeking through the shades on the window and I grumble, "Don't even think about it." I know what he is thinking...what he always seems to be thinking.

He grunts. Clearly still unhappy about my refusal to have sex with him at his brothers place. "We should get up. You have chores to do today." I remind him.

"Oh? Does the cow need milking? The horses fed? A fence mended?" He asks, sarcastically.

I hide my smile, "No, I need you and Braxton to do something for me. Well, not for me exactly. Its a gift for Charlie. For tonight. After I convinced my mom to throw them a bridal slash wedding shower, I thought of something." I confess. Picking up my phone, while I am thinking about it I Venmo money to Mom for the cost of the party. Knowing she has money if she needs it will ease some of my guilt for springing it on her.

I explain what I want him to do and he agrees begrudgingly. When he gets out of bed I see that he is going to mope about, clearly sexually frustrated as I watch him search for some chocolate.

I groan as I head towards the front door, it feels odd not to not be working today. I did quit on impulse. The Savannah Port has been a hard but rewarding experience. I've put everything into this, nearly as much as Alix. Its mentally and physically exhausting but also so rewarding. In reality I don't think I could walk away, deep down I know that's not the only reason I can't leave G.S.I. No, the real reason has more to do with a sulking unshaven and perfectly toned sexy animal I sleep with every night. Ugh!

I see Charlie is putting on a light jacket, she spots me, giving me a wide smile. I return her a enthusiasm. A day out, finally! Hearing movement behind me I turn to see a brooding Alix watching us leave and roll my eyes. I blow him a kiss and we head out the door.

We spend the day shopping, Charlie and I really bonded. I want to open up to her about Alix, but I needed today. To relax and not think about my relationship with Alix and what I'm doing with my life... I still couldn't escape him. I thought about him every minute. Which wouldn't typically annoy me, but I'm starting to see this relationship as something more. Something I know I won't able to escape without feeling like my heart is being ripped out of my chest.

The car turns onto my parents street and I look in the side mirror to see the black sedan following us. I start to get a little nervous. "Do your parents have many friends of the lower class?" I ask, wondering what they will think of our humble house and neighborhood.

"Lower class?" He asks. "They're not snob's, if that's what you're asking."

I nod. "I know. They just might not be used to this kind of thing." I say, feeling awkward.

He must notice my fidgeting. "Its nothing to worry about. They love you and will love you're family. This is for Charlotte and Braxton. They are thrilled you are doing this for them. I think my Mama is even a little jealous she didn't think of it first." He smirks.

His reassurance helps settle my nerves. I nod and let myself out of the car. Smiling as I watch the others join me. I tilt my head towards Braxton, telling him to step ahead of us. He gets the hint and walks with Charlie on his arm. On the front porch I lean past them and push the door open. The house is full of streamers and banners all congratulating the happy couple.

"Surprise!" We say, smiling at a stunned Charlie. Braxton smiles down at her gently urging her into the house. My parents, greet everyone. I see that Charlie is so incredibly amazed and grateful for the celebration.

"We wanted to do something special for you." I tell her as she hugs me.

"I'm just so shocked she says, wiping her wet yes before her tears get a chance to fall.

"Good that means Braxton and Alexia didn't ruin the surprise. Usually, those two are the worst at keeping secrets." Cairo adds, jokingly.

We laugh as Mom urges the couple out of the back door to the patio. I see people I've never seen before but judging by the look on Charlie's face she knows them. She greets everyone and even introduces me to her brother, who seems to be enjoying the company of a pretty tall brunette named Allison.

I turn to Alix and grab his hand. "You did good." I tell him honestly.

He shrugs. "Braxton did most of the work. It was important to him. Thank you for offering to do this. From what Braxton was saying, this whole wedding has been hard on Charlotte. He's trying to remind her of what she has, instead of what she lost."

My heartbreaks for her. "I can't even imagine wedding planning without my parents involved. Absolutely, painful." I say, shaking my head. I feel him step behind me and lean against him as his arms wrap around me. "Your parents are great with her. She's in good hands with your family." I say, admiring the way they are meeting her coworkers and friends easily and with great affection.

I push away from Alix's embrace to turn towards him. I cross my arms, knowing what I have to do...reluctantly. "I want my job back."

I watch one eyebrow lift as does one corner of his mouth. "But what will people say?" He asks, sarcastically.

I narrow my eyes. "I'll prove myself to them. I'm the only one that could handle you and this job and they all know it."

"Think so?" He asks, amused.

"I know so." I state, confidently.

He tilts his head, "Welcome back, Ms. Rivers."

I dip my head, "Thank you, sir. Good to be back."

"How late do we have to stay here?" He questions, looking as ready to leave as ever.

"We didn't even do dinner or gifts yet. But don't pout. There's cake." I assure him patting his chest.

"I know. Braxton set up the caterer and I called the bakery." He mentions.

I roll my eyes. "Of course you did."