27

Snape interrogated Alexandra for a little while about the owl before he gave up. She wasn't budging.

"Professor." She said.

"Yes?"

"I was in the library, earlier today." She started. "I was getting some more books to use for my essay, and-" she rummaged through her bag for the small book. "I found this. Madam Pince said it was really valuable and a one of a kind. That this author- Ziegla Hammer-"

"Was one of the first people to come to Hogwarts." He said. "You found this in the library?"

"Madam Pince said she'd never seen it in the library before, that it must've showed itself to me for a reason."

"I wouldn't be surprised. She was a legend. Ziegla Hammer was the first Ravenclaw, and Rowena Ravenclaw took her under her wing especially because she saw something in her. She ended up creating the disarming and stunning charms- ways to protect yourself without actually harming others."

"Can you read it first?" She asked.

"Why not you?" Alexandra shrugged. "If the book showed itself to you, it must have done so for a reason."

"Please?" She begged.

"You're a mystery, Miss Weasley." Snape shook his head but took the book out of her hands. He tried to open it but it wouldn't open. He frowned, and gave it back to her.

"So it doesn't even open?"

"Like Madam Pince said, if it showed itself to only you, perhaps it's meant for you. Why don't you give it a try?" He asked. Alexandra looked at the book. Surely if the book could be dangerous it wouldn't want her to open it. After a few moments of deliberation, she decided it wouldn't be any harm if she tried. She opened the book, and bright light streamed out. Alexandra closed her eyes, as words flooded into her head, not hearing Snape call out her name as she fell.

"Open your eyes." A voice hissed. "Open your eyes, Alexandra." Alexandra did as she was told, and saw that she wasn't in Snape's potion class. She was in the middle of a beautiful clearing. She felt out of place amongst the purple and red and yellow flowers. "Alexandra." The voice said again, this time not whispering. She turned around to see a beautiful woman.

"Who- who are you?" Alexandra asked.

"Ziegla." She said. "My friends called me Zee."

"Where am I?"

"I'm guessing you were the one to open my book?"

"Ziegla Hammer?" Alexandra asked.

"Yes."

"You're dead. Have been for a thousand years or something."

"Yes, but when I wrote the book, I realised it could never get into the wrong hands. I tried destroying it, but it never worked. So instead I put a spell on it." Alexandra rubbed her eyes.

"I'm hallucinating." She turned away from Ziegla. "This is not real."

"Alexandra."

"My name is Alex, and why would you know my name?" Alexandra stopped and put her hands on her head. "Definitely hallucinating."

"You're not hallucinating." The woman turned Alexandra back around to face her. "This is real."

"You're dead."

"That I am. I'm not really here."

"And there's no way this can be some pre-recorded message, because you're actually answering me. So the only logical explanation is that I am dreaming or something."

"You're not dreaming. My essence has been infused within the book. As we speak, every word I've written is imprinting itself into your mind." The woman- Ziegla- explained. "The essence of my spirit has been trapped in the book for centuries. And now I'll be free, but there's a reason the book opened for you."

"No." Alexandra shook her head. "Why me?"

"Because you're pure of heart." Ziegla smiled kindly.

"Well that's impossible. I'm evil. I've done evil things. I have a beast locked away inside me. I can't be pure of heart if I have darkness inside me."

"Alexandra-"

"Don't call me that. My name is Alex. The book got it wrong. I'm not a good person. You'll have to take it back."

"I can't. The book chose you. This is your destiny."

"No!" Alexandra closed her eyes tightly. "I'm not a hero. Why wouldn't it show itself to Harry Potter or Hermione Granger? She's got the kindest heart I know."

"Because the book saw something worthy in you, and not the others."

"What am I supposed to do with this information?"

"Just guard it." Ziegla said. "You don't have to use it, you must only guard it."

"Another secret to keep?" Alexandra asked.

"I suppose." She replied.

"Can I go back to the real world, or whatever, now?" Alexandra asked.

"Good luck, my dear." Ziegla nodded and Alexandra sat up with a gasp. She was in the hospital wing. Madam Pomfrey and Professor Snape were in Madam Pomfrey's office, barely a feet away from her bed.

"Madam Pomfrey!" Hermione called.

"Miss Weasley." Madam Pomfrey said. Alexandra groaned as she put a hand to her head.

"How long have I been here?"

"A week." Professor Snape said. Alexandra fell back onto her bed with a loud groan. Madam Pomfrey immediately rushed to her side, looking into her eyes with a small torch.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like a ton of words slammed into my head." Alexandra said. "It can't have been a week already."

"Alex, what happened?" Hermione asked.

"I had a really bizarre dream." Alexandra said.

"Does anywhere ache?" Madam Pomfrey asked.

"Just my head."

"Uh huh." Alexandra moved her head away from the matron's grasp.

"I'm okay." Alexandra said.

"Alex, you fainted. Professor Snape thinks the book might have been cursed. He and Madam Pomfrey have been looking through it all week." Hermione said.

"I'm fine now." She said stubbornly.

"Would you look at the time? I think it's the twins' shift." Hermione said and Alexandra glared at her. The girls glared at each other, neither wanting to look away. Hermione moved to leave and Alexandra caved.

"Fine. But you're keeping them away." Alexandra said, "and I'm going to feed you to the centaurs in the forbidden forest." Hermione sat back down triumphantly.