✎ 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐓 𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑.

»   𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐘𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐓 

»   𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐘𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐓 

star 117 by ateez
( inspired by ; ) gone by jin
face to face by wayv  . . . . .

letter with 975 words

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

❝  𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐑 𝐉𝐄𝐎𝐍𝐆 𝐘𝐔𝐍𝐇𝐎,

   It’s been a while. Four years now I think.

   The world has changed, Yunho.

   It feels so different now.

   Ever since you left, it had the need to change, to adjust and replace the hole and space that you left. It was an awful process. 

   How did this start Yunho?

   Childhood friends.

   That’s what we were. You and me.

   We were always together. We grew up together, went to school together, dance mates and went to piano lessons together. Piano lessons. That’s where you met her, your only star.

   Her name’s Hanbyeol. She’s a progressive, talented girl on our age. She may not be the greatest, but my father saw potential in her. Despite her being blind.

   And I think you saw that too.

   I remember you offering her a handshake the first time you met and you didn’t know she was blind. I slapped your hand away and you were so confused.

   Hanbyeol laughed when I told her what happened.

   You heard her laugh Yunho, and you fell in love for it.

   It was as if time stopped around you two then I saw a spark the same time my heart started cracking.

   Hanbyeol has to stay over for a few months because her parents were on a business trip. Her parents became close to mine since our mothers were bestfriends before she passed away two years ago.

   She stayed at the room next to mine at the second floor. It wasn't as big as mine, but it was enough for a canopy bed, a vanity, a couch and a closet. Hanbyeol adapted to the new environment quicker than I expected.

   Those few months were a lifetime for the two of you.

   You kept coming over my house and staying late to spend time with Hanbyeol. You both got to know each other well and you looked at her fondly as if she wasn't blind.

   Then you told me you’ve fallen for her.

   I didn’t tell you, but I heard my heart shatter.

   But for your sake, I plastered a pleased smile and reassured you. The same evening, Hanbyeol confessed about her feelings for you.

   Like walking on a field of cactus aiming for a paradise, I helped you two get together. You didn’t spend as much time with me anymore, but I didn’t mind. You were happy with her.

   The both of you were pure lovers, didn't see blindness as a flaw on her and kept getting closer and closer every minute you spent with each other.

   From time to time, you got heart attacks because you keep forgetting your medication.

   You hid it from her by barely mustering the sentence, “I’ll be right back”, then scurrying over to me to get you to hospital. She didn’t suspect a thing and just waited till you came back. You told me her precious smile is what got you to keep returning to her.

   But your hiding didn’t last long.

   No secrets are meant to be hidden. And your secret revealed in the most sorrowful way possible.

   Your last day with her.

   I was standing there, in the corner of the room and watching you two play a piece you composed by yourself.

   You said that it would be your vow to each other. The piece is supposed to express your promise to her. “As time passes by, your memories of me might fade away. But I want you to remember this piece. The piece that will remind you that I'll love you forever. And I will play this piece until the very end.”. It was beautiful. 

   Then suddenly, you clutch your chest and your head immediately snapped to look at me with a painful expression. You said the key sentence, “Wait here Hanbyeol, I’ll be right back.”. You probably didn’t realise it, but your steps were heavier and more painful that time. My butler immediately drove you to the hospital and I stayed to accompany Hanbyeol.

   You didn’t come back and Hanbyeol had retired to her bedroom... still waiting for you.

   I was told that you weren’t well and was indeed in critical condition. You needed a heart transplant and the only way to make the operation successful was to fly you to Germany right away.

   I cried, hearing that - to the point I couldn’t breathe properly so I had to get outside to get some air.

   Then I saw you. Running inside in a hurry.

   I tried to stop you but you breathlessly told me,
“Please… let me play for her…. just before I go….”.

   And I will forever regret that I let you.

   You played the piece. The beautiful notes resonated throughout the house, making sure Hanbyeol heard it.

   But halfway through the piece, you hit the wrong key and fell down. The world turned grey every since that moment.

   You on the floor.

   Lifeless.

   But eyes closed peacefully.

   You had no pulse - even after I tried CPR on you.

   And I knew that I basically opened the door to heaven to you.

   Nonetheless, you were hurriedly sent to the hospital again.

   I checked Hanbyeol. She was smiling, saying that you came back to play the piece. She didn’t hear the commotion, she never got to know about it.
I excused myself and left with a heavy heart. 

    I sat down by the grand piano and played the rest of the piece. The half of the piece you didn’t get to play for her. With every key I pressed, tears streamed down from my eyes involuntarily. I hated to admit it at that time, but I knew you weren’t gonna make it.

   You didn’t reach Germany, you never got to see her again and you never got the chance to.

   People miss you, Yunho. I miss you.

   And I'm sorry....

Yours truly,  
Yirem   ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

with the thought of you,
my eyes closed to see the light.