Chapter 47 - The Twins

As the months passed, Patience took good care of herself and ate the best she could. When doing her chores became impossible, Patience still did her best to get up and get some exercise, if it was just walking down to the half-log bench to sit with Rud and look at the stars.    

When she was nine months pregnant, Patience did what she could, mostly she just tried to sit comfortably. At first, Patience had loved being pregnant, but this late in her pregnancy, there was not much to love about it. Rud kept telling her all the effort would be worth it the first time she held her baby, but Patience was not often in the mood to hear it.

Alice was staying at her and Billy's cabin full time now to help Patience. Alice did most of the cooking and pretty much all of Patience's chores. Rud was very attentive to his wife and was very excited about being a daddy. When they were in bed, and the babies were kicking, Patience enjoyed pressing her belly against Rud's back so he too could feel his babies move.

Rud would turn over and put both of his hands on her belly, amazed at the life he and Patience had created. Miss Betty would be the midwife for Patience, and had told her several months ago she was sure there were two babies. Patience thought she could feel them move separately at times now.

Of course, Alice had already said it would be twin boys and who was Patience to argue with Alice. As far as Patience knew, Rud did not know it was probably twins. She had not kept it from him per se, he didn't ask, and she never brought it up. Rud was going to be in for a big surprise. 

* * * * *

Billy rode up to Charlotte's house, yelling for Miss Betty to come quick. Patience had started having contractions not long after she had gotten out of bed that morning. Miss Betty, Charlotte, and several more ladies jumped in a buggy, and off they went. Ollie took another wagon and stopped by to pick up Bessie and Martha.

Patience was in bed with Rud holding her hand while Alice did her best to comfort her with tea and pillows. The buggy pulled up with the wagon right behind it. The ladies all went in the cabin, one of the women shooed Rud, Billy, and Ollie out. The three men went down to the lake and sat on the half log bench to wait.

Patience cried out several times as things progressed, but the men were too far away to hear most of it. Rud kept a close watch on the door, waiting for news. It took about two hours, and the door finally opened. Several tubs of water were carried out and spread on the ground away from the cabin.

Bessie came out and yelled, "Rud, they are both healthy." Rud said, "What did she say?" Ollie said, "I heard 'both.'"  Then Bessie yelled, "Rud, come and say hello to your two fine boys."

All three men were sprinting towards the cabin now. Billy, laughing, said, "Alice was right, twin boys." Rud yelled back, "And you didn't tell me?" Billy laughed at having kept the secret from Rud.

Rud asked how Patience was, and Bessie said, "Ask her yourself." The ladies had finished washing the newborns and had laid them on Patience's chest. Rud asked Patience how she was doing but did not need a response.

Patience was taking turns kissing her babies on their heads as their little arms fought against the swaddling. Rud leaned in and kissed Patience as she pulled him close. All Rud could say was, "Look at what you've done." Rud bent down and kissed his new sons.

Rud, Billy, and Ollie were shooed out again while the ladies finished cleaning up Patience, the bed, and the cabin, and did whatever needed doing after a baby was born. The men stood just outside the cabin door, letting this all sink in.

Hectic did not describe the next few hours as the ladies cared for the babies and Patience. Rud was able to spend some time sitting next to Patience while she napped.