Chapter 49 - Letter from Town

Billy received a letter from a lawyer in the town. After their uncle was killed, his estate went to the local courts for resolution. All of the uncle's property was sold, and the proceeds, plus any money the uncle had in the bank, would be held until an heir could be located.

When James brought the uncle's men back dead, he had to explain to the Sheriff what had happened. James told the Sheriff both Patience and William Billings Jr. had survived and were living in the wilderness. The uncle had no family of his own, so that meant the oldest living male relative, William Jr., would inherit the estate.

The letter was from a lawyer who had handled the disposition of the property, requesting Billy to present himself to a court so his identity could be verified. Ollie suggested Billy contact the Judge who had married him and Martha and Rud and Patience rather than go to the town.

Billy sent a letter to the judge, asking if he could help. The judge responded he would and detailed the required process. Billy needed two reputable people, preferably known to the judge, to appear and attest to his identity. Billy asked Rud, Charlotte, and Bessie to accompany him as his witnesses, thinking three was better than two.

They all, including Alice, made the four-hour trip to the town where the judge had his office. They spent the night in a hotel, had breakfast in a café, and were in the judge's office at 9 am when he arrived. Everyone swore an oath and signed the papers stating that Billy was William Logan Billings Jr.

It took less than ten minutes to do the paperwork, but they all sat and chatted until the judge's next appointment at 11 AM. The judge laughed and told Rud he still got a chuckle remembering Patience's kiss at the start of their ceremony. As they left, the Judge promised the papers would be sent that afternoon to the lawyer handling the uncle's affairs.

About a month later, Billy received two letters, one from the lawyer letting Billy know he had been designated his uncle's heir and another with an accounting of the funds. Billy noticed the sale of his father's house was included in the documents. Billy briefly thought he would have liked to have the house he and Patience grew up in but knew his home was here in their valley with Alice, not some big house in town.

The second letter was from the bank with a statement of the money on deposit in Billy's name. The bank also included information on how to access the funds but made it clear they wanted him to keep his money in their bank. The balance in the account surprised Billy. It was a significant amount of money.

Rud said, "Billy, you're rich!" Billy said, "We are all rich. Everyone who lives here gets an equal share, remember" and winked at Rud. Rud said, "This is different, Billy. It is from your uncle, but this is your father's estate, not a pot of oatmeal."

Billy looked at Rud and said, "I had just lost my parents, was saved by a stranger, and made welcome in the stranger's home. I have a life now that I love and found Alice. Nothing is worth more than an equal share of that pot of oatmeal. Everyone who lives here gets an equal share. That is the way it is in our valley."

Rud couldn't say anything. Patience said she was so proud of Billy and asked if he had something in mind for his money. Billy, sounding like Alice, corrected Patience saying, "OUR money, and yes, I do."

Billy had a plan. If everyone agreed, he would form a company with the four of them, plus Martha and Ollie, all as partners. They would start with a commercial sawmill, then, if they were successful, expand into other businesses as time and money permitted.

Billy looked at Rud and said, "What do you think?" Billy looked up to Rud and still very much wanted his approval. Rud asked, "Would you run this company?" Billy responded, "Yes, that is my plan." Rud said, "Good, you would be my choice."