Ch.10 Libelle

Chapter 10

Alpha Jax's pack was located between the Catskill mountains in upstate New York. The lush green valleys and mountains were drenched in the last few drops of green from the summer. Some trees here and there had started to change shade as they prepared for winter.

The large pack welcomed Xavier and Mavi with many festivities and rituals. They chose to live off the ground and protect the nature and spirits around them. Their pack house and village was built according to old traditions and customs.

Alpha Jax and his eldest son James showed Mavi and Xavier around the grounds and introduced them to many people. For most of the time, Mavi didn't have to worry about saying much. Xavier carried the conversation and she politely smiled here and there and said thank you. However, when Xavier moved away and was pulled into a different conversation, Mavi found herself lost and didn't know what to say to the people in front of her looking up at her with eager expressions.

"Ask questions," Alec whispered into her ear from behind her after Mavi stumbled through a conversation and the elderly lady left with a confused expression on her face.

"What?" Mavi asked, looking over her shoulder.

"People love to talk about themselves, no matter now modest or shy they are. Ask them questions about themselves to keep the conversation going. If all they do is get a chance to talk about themselves, then they will like you more because you made them feel important."

"Oh," Mavi said thinking his words over. What kind of questions? She wanted to ask but another woman from the pack started approaching her.

"Try it out," Alec whispered.

"Welcome to our pack, your grace," the woman said as she bowed. Her long silky black hair spilled over her shoulders like ink.

"Thank you for the kind and warm welcome," Mavi said with a smile.

As the woman smiled back, Mavi could feel her mind blanking slowly. The duration of her smile started to wear off and she started to feel the awkwardness in the air.

"I hope all is well here and that you are happy," Mavi tried out.

"Yes," the woman nodded eagerly. "I love being a part of this pack, it was the best decision I had to move here."

Perfect time for a question, Alec mind-linked Mavi. Where did she move here from?

"Where did you move here from?" Mavi repeated the question.

"From Louisiana, actually,"

"Oh that's wonderful," Mavi nodded.

What made you decide to move? Alec prompted her once more.

"What made you want to move?" Mavi took a deep breath of relief as she felt the pressure in her chest start to rise a bit. She no longer felt the awkwardness in the air as she spoke to the lady.

"I didn't like the schools they had for the packs there," the woman frowned.

"How many children do you have?" Mavi asked naturally as she caught onto the game.

"I have three," the sweet woman laughed.

"How sweet! How old are they?"

"My eldest is 14 and the middle one is 12. The youngest turning 10 next month."

"Aw they're all growing up so fast," Mavi smiled. "You'll have to forgive me, but I don't think I caught your name."

"Oh!" the woman laughed. "Silly me, My name is Abby, your grace."