FRESH START FEVER

It was obvious the younger boy was suffering from heartbreak. Taehyung hadn't slept a wink in the past 48 hours. He had been tossing and turning in bed, dreading the day to come where he'd turn 18 years old. He didn't want to go to school and bump into his mate, the mate that took Jungkook away from him.

Due to his constant stressing and crying he woke up with a sore throat and a burning feeling in his limbs on his birthday. His mother pouted as she took his temperature, eyes filled with sadness. "You have a fever dear", she informed him, "And that on your birthday, so unfortunate".

The omega silently cheered in victory, knowing there was no way he'd run into his mate today. He couldn't run away from destiny but he sure could postpone it.

His parents had no idea about what happened between their son and Jungkook. Taehyung had never mentioned dating anybody, knowing his parents wouldn't approve of it. They were old fashioned like that. Taehyung was supposed to wait for his mate and if he didn't find his fated mate, he was able to date other people that they approved of.

"Hopefully it'll drop by tomorrow", his mother softly smiled and ruffled his hair, "I'll be going to work now. Be sure to call the maid if you need anything".

It was weird to see his mother care so much this early in the morning. Usually she'd be out of the house before breakfast and she'd only return late in the evening. She sent him a kiss and left the room, flicking off the lights so he could try to sleep some more.

Unknown to her, Taehyung hadn't slept since his date with Jungkook ended.

He couldn't believe the boy had broken up with him. Taehyung had cursed him throughout the night, wanting to get angry at him for doing this. But deep down he knew the alpha only wanted to do the right thing. It was such a selfless thing to do and Taehyung secretly wanted Jungkook to be a little more selfish. But the boy wasn't like that and that's what made him so attractive to the omega.

The boy closed his eyes and tried to clear his head, hoping to catch some sleep. Time ticked on and soon it turned twelve pm. Normally, he'd be sitting with Jungkook now, munching on their lunch on their usual bench outside. They'd share food and laughter and Taehyung would fall just a little more in love with him each time.

But sadly, those times were over now. Jungkook wouldn't be sitting with him anymore. Taehyung felt like crying once again but he had run out of tears and he felt empty inside.

The doorbell rang. It was only a faint sound from where he was curled up in bed but he could clearly hear one of the maids walking downstairs to open the front door.

Secretly, very secretly, he hoped it was Jungkook. He knew he was desperate to hope for the boy to appear at his door, but he couldn't help but sniff the air, hoping to smell the alpha's familiar scent. He sighed as he realized just how pathetic he must've looked, sniffing the air like a madman to catch a glimpse of the scent.

He could hear footsteps now walking up the stairs and suddenly his body flinched. Something struck him, deep inside, and his heart started pounding against his ribcage. This couldn't be real- no- this couldn't be happening.

The strong scent. The sudden lurge of his heart. The head spinning thoughts.

His mate was in his house.

Tears jumped into his eyes at the thought and if he had any strength left in his sick body, he'd run to the door and lock it, desperately keeping out his mate.

A knock came from the door and Taehyung froze. His wolf howled for the other behind the door but his human heart refused to feel anything for the man standing behind the door. He knew who it was. He could recognize the scent. And if he wasn't so afraid in that moment, he would have laughed at the sheer irony of the situation.

"Hello Taehyung".

"Sooyun", the omega immediately sneered, "Did I tell you to come in?" His wolf was growling at him, telling him to stop being so rude to their mate. But Taehyung didn't want anything to do with him. He wanted the soft alpha whose personality was more than money and status. He wanted Jungkook. Jungkook. Jungkook. Jungkook.

The alpha in the room nervously smiled and closed the door behind him. "I'm sorry but I couldn't wait to see you anymore. When you didn't show up at school I panicked", he spoke as he stepped a bit closer to the bed. He noticed how Taehyung flinched and stopped walking, "I've waited so long for you to realize who you're truly destined to be with".

Taehyung opened his mouth, wanting to shout at the alpha, tell him to fuck off, but he couldn't. The boy looked so nervous and he probably had been wanting this day to happen ever since he himself realized who his mate was. It wasn't Sooyun's fault Taehyung had found his soulmate right before his birthday.

His wolf too didn't want him to shout at his mate and he could feel the animal try to take control of his human form. "When was your birthday?"

"Two weeks ago", Sooyun replied, hands clasped together as he waited a fair distance away from the bed. It was obvious he was trying his hardest to refrain himself from touching Taehyung, his alpha probably yelling at him to mark him already.

The omega gulped, eyes flitting down to the bed where his sheep plushie was staring at him. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I wanted you to find out on your own", the alpha explained, "And I figured you would maybe refuse to believe my words since we dated before".

Taehyung had found his true mate before his birthday, had dated him and then continued to cheat on him. It was laughable at least and it brough a small smile on his face as he remembered how he cheated on Sooyun by kissing Jungkook behind the book racks.

Shit, he shouldn't think about the boy like that. Especially not in front of his mate.

"I'm sure you have your doubts about this", Sooyun swallowed, "But could we at least give this a try?"

Taehyung wasn't sure about anything anymore. But he knew one thing. Jungkook had let him go because of this and there was no way the boy was going to want him back when he'd see that Taehyung found his mate.

He swallowed harshly and made up his mind. "Sure, why not?"

Welp seems like Taehyung found his mate... You could've seen this coming from miles away tbh. Jungkook is a year older than Taehyung and so he would've known if he was the omega's mate or not (so obviously he wasn't).

If you liked this story please consider supporting me through ko-fi (something like patreon) it would be much appreciated :) link is in my bio!