Chapter 22

WARNING- There is vulgar language in this chapter

Rachel and I made our way into the giant shopping complex, and wow, was it extravagant. "Wow," Rachel said, gazing at our surroundings. We spotted a few stores that caught our eye and raided them like crazy. It's a good thing Rachel's parents gave us vacation money to spend on stuff.

After a couple hours of shopping, we decided to leave since it was getting dark. Rachel and I walked down the empty sidewalks of London, chatting about the day. We turned a corner when all of a sudden, we were confronted by a tall, thin man. Since it was so dark already, it was hard to see what he looked like. As he slowly inched closer to us, I could see he had stringy black hair that reached his shoulders. His face resembled much of a rat, a long slender nose and buck teeth that formed into an evil grin. He looked like he hadn't taken a shower in years. "Hello there sweeties," the man said in a raspy voice, holding a long bony fingered hand out to us. "You girls look lost. You can stay with me for the night." I shivered at his voice, the lunacy was evident.

"No thanks, we're good," Rachel said, putting a hand up to the man. The man frowned and growled like an animal. We started to back away, when he grabbed Rachel by the shoulders. She struggled against his grip, screaming and kicking. He suddenly pulled out a long slender knife. He held it to her neck. Rachel calmed, any movement forcing the knife to slice her neck.

Tears threatened to fall, but I couldn't let them. "Please don't hurt her," I weeped, trying to be as calm as possible. This man was not stable. He smiled in satisfaction and lowered the knife a bit. "Very good, now what do you gals say?"

Suddenly, Rachel swung her foot and it connected with the mans shin. He yelped and dropped the knife, cradling his leg. Rachel ran away from the man, who was now free from his strong grip. I was about to run after her, when a hand grabbed my ankle, pulling me to the ground. My chin slammed against the concrete, sending an explosion of pain throughout my body. I watched helplessly as I saw Rachel in the distance turn the corner, not knowing that the man got me. I was about to scream for help when a slimy hand covered my mouth. I shrieked at the top of my lungs anyway, kicking and convulsing, anything to get the man off, who was now completely on top of my body.

He grabbed my stray arms that were reaching for anything in sight, and held them tightly behind my back. He whispered into my ear, the horrible stench of alcohol burning my nostrils. "Just stay quiet. It'll all be over soon." I heard a sickening laugh after this. My fear turned into anger, and my convulsing turned up a couple of notches. He then tried to lift me up, the result being unsuccessful. I kicked and screamed, my mouth being uncovered now. The ground was going to be my best friend. Wherever he wanted to take me, was not where I wanted to go. "You little bitch," he whispered harshly, attempting to lift me up again.

Suddenly, the man flew forward, landing on the concrete in front of me with a thud. Someone helped me up. I looked to my left and saw Thomas kneeling beside me, his arm protectively around my body. "Get!" he yelled angrily to the man. The man suddenly scrambled to his feet and ran off. I hugged Thomas, crying in his shoulder. I saw Rachel, her parents, and a couple of police officers run up to us. Up ahead, I saw the man get confronted by police officers, and he was escorted into a police car. "My god are you alright?" Rachel's mom asked. I nodded, still shivering in Thomas's arms.

"That crazy bugger is going to be in prison for a long time," Thomas said.

Eventually, we all got up and went back to our hotel room, Rachel's parents lecturing us the whole way. Thomas stopped at the door to our room, and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Promise me you'll be more careful out on the London streets, okay? I don't know what I'd do if something bad happened to you." I nodded. He smiled, turned around, and disappeared down the hallway. I went back into the hotel room, and decided it'd be best to get some rest. If I could.