PROLOGUE

"It's hard to trust when all you have from the past is evidence why you shouldn't

"It's hard to trust when all you have from the past is evidence why you shouldn't."

• • •

Hayley hears a noise from down stairs and grabs the fire poker from near the fire place warily. She slowly walks down the stairs with the fire poker firmly in her right hand ready to swing at any unwanted intruders.

When she sees an unknown yet somehow familiar looking blonde walking into the plantation like she owns the place she cautiously lowers her makeshift weapon. "Who the hell are you?" She says with a raised eyebrow.

"Ah, you must be the maid. Fetch my bags from the car would you?" The blonde says waving her off, looking around the home in nostalgia.

"Um, hello? Not the maid." Hayley says with a small attitude, annoyed that the blonde was treating her like dirt under her shoe.

Rebekah stops and eyes her up and down, mainly her stomach. "You must be the one my bastard brother knocked up, I was expecting more of a bump. Guess you're not showing yet. Speaking of brothers, where's Elijah?"

Hayley shrugs, Elijah was nice to her and she felt more safe with him than Klaus so his sudden exit made her a little more wary in her everyday life.

"Beats me, he's long gone." Hayley shrugs, a little angry about it.

"What do you mean long gone?" Rebekah says with narrowed eyes. Something was very wrong, her brother bothered her for weeks on end about this miracle Mikaelson baby, so there was no way he'd suddenly leave.

"One moment he was making epic promises and giving me his word that he would take care of what a one night stand and a bottle of whiskey got me into and next thing I know he's gone. I asked Klaus and he said that he bailed. I guess that's what I get for trusting a vampire." She finishes with a small frown.

"Elijah doesn't welch on deals. Which means Klaus has done something Dastardly like." Rebekah fumes and goes on to shouting, "KLAUS GET OUT HERE AND TELL ME WHAT YOU'VE DONE WITH OUR BROTHER YOU BLOODY WANKER!"

Hayley winces at her loud voice before slowly following behind the blonde to watch the scene play out between the siblings.

Klaus slams open his study doors with a smug smirk, "Rebekah! How lovely of you to join us."

"What have you done to Elijah?" She says with a fierce glare ignoring his greeting. Klaus shrugs and replies, "Maybe he's taking a nice autumn nap."

As Hayley listens to them argue back and forth she thinks back to a couple of weeks ago.

Flashback