Chapter 31 - Betrayal

(Y/N)'s POV
I've been so distracted lately, I really need to get my head back in the game. Before going to any other universe, I went back home to drop off the rose Death gave me. Just before I left, Core Frisk came into my universe. Before I could tell them I was in a rush, they gave me a marble and left. I placed it in the inside pockets of my cloak then went on my way.

I made my way into Dreamtale and my heart dropped to my stomach, the town was in ruins, what happened here? I walked through the town, there were still some residents in their homes, they're all shaking in fear, poor things. I made it to the tree, but it was chopped down and it was also in ruins; all the leaves withered away and only black apples were left on it.

What could've happened? I thought of the worse and rushed to the house, banging and calling out for Dream. No answer. I teleported around Dreamtale, looking for Dream. I couldn't find him and I returned back to the tree. So much fear and sadness took over me, but I knew better, I took a breath and settled my emotions. If I keep having these negative emotions, it'd be much harder to find Dream, so I only have to feel positive emotions to find him, hopefully.

I hugged myself then took it out of my pocket and looked at it; I remember that Core Frisk did something like this when I was previously in Dreamtale. They gave me a small gift box with a white marble inside it, that marble contained all of my good memories. The marble that Core Frisk gave me was a yellow one, instead of a white one.

Suddenly, it exploded in my hand and all of my good memories swirled around me. Seems like Core Frisk was a step ahead of my plan. I smiled to myself and took in all of those wonderful memories. Shortly after, the memories faded away and I saw Dream come out of a portal. Seems like he had an outfit change as well; he now has an outfit of black stocking-like pants and a withered light yellow coat with tips of cyan, but he still sports a golden crown and belt, but the belt is now cyan with only the 'DS' initials being gold in color.

Dream's POV
As time went on, I could feel my powers weaken from all the negative feelings. Why did it have to be my brother? He has changed for the worst and I don't know what he'll do, it's unpredictable now; he's someone that I don't know anymore, but yet, I still do know his true self deep within. While I was searching around Underfell, I felt an overwhelming sensation of positive feelings. I quickly opened a portal into the universe and I saw (Y/N).

She ran up to me and embraced me, "Oh my stars! You're alright!" She pulled away and put her hands on my cheeks, "What happened?!"

I looked away, "It was my brother... he took one of the golden apples."

"What happened to him and the tree...?"

"When he took the apple, the sky grew dark, the birds stopped singing, the leaves of the tree shriveled and fell, the only thing on the tree were the black apples. Because of the negative energy, the tree was rotting and dying. The universe started to lose all of its positive feelings. He didn't do anything wrong and he was scared, he only wanted to show that he could take care of the golden apples. Everyone started to be affected by the negative feelings and blamed Nightmare for taking away their positive feelings. They wanted to hurt him, even kill him, but I tried my best to hold them off but there were too many. Then... Nightmare took a bite of the black apple, bite after bite, he started to change. There were black lumps coming out of his eyes, nose, and clothing. As he kept eating, his skull started to crack, he started to change. All of that fear he felt changed to hatred, an infinite hatred towards everyone and everything. This negative energy started to control him and tentacles grew from his back, he screamed and fell to the ground, puking up the same black substance coming out of him. Then my brother told me, 'please... don't forget who I used to be'..." I started to cry.

She hugged me, "Dream... I'm so sorry..."

"No, I should be the one to apologize! He's on the loose now, and I don't know where he is. With all of these negative feelings, my powers become useless!"

She kisses my forehead, "Don't be so harsh on yourself, Dream. I believe in you and I know you can do this..."

I blushed, "Thank you, (Y/N)..."

"How can I help?"

My eyes widen, "(Y-Y/N), you're going to get hurt."

She sighed and smiled, "I am a guardian as well, Dream. I have to protect the AUs as well, even if it means I have to get hurt."

"Right... I guess try to find where Nightmare is. I've been searching but I haven't found him yet."

She nods, "I'll try my best Dream."