Chapter 34 - A True Nightmare

(Y/N)'s POV
Goodness, today has been a long day. I walked into my bedroom and flopped on my bed. Things are really escalating, Nightmare is still roaming around and Error might find my universe. Gosh, just thinking about that makes me sick. I closed my eyes for a second then felt another chill, but this one was the worst one I've ever felt.

It was in Dreamtale, I made my way there and saw Dream in the distance; he was crying and cursing himself out; "D-Damn it... this wasn't supposed to happen... fuck! This is all your fault mom!" Something black was forming in his hand, "If these were gone if we were normal... we would be happy! We would be equ-" He notices the black blob in his hand and starts to cry, "Haha... this can't be happening...!" His hand started to move closer to his mouth and took a bite of it.

I was going to rush up to Dream but Nightmare appeared next to him. Damn, I should've gone to Dream's aid when I got here, but instead, I just watched him suffer. How awful am I. I quickly hid by some nearby rubble and watched them.

Nightmare's POV
While I was ruining a universe, I felt someone take a bite of the black apple. I quickly left and came to Dreamtale to see Dream on the ground, "Dream...?" He looked over to me, he was the one that ate the apple.

"I-I couldn't stop..." His body started to ooze the same black lumps as mine, "... My body... it moved by itself, I tried to stop... but you saw how it went..."

I quickly took away the apple from his hand, "... You tried?" Black tentacles came out of one of his eye sockets, "All I can see is that you gave in..." I started to turn back into my normal self, "... Why...?! I know I'm a horrible brother, telling you those things, but did it have to go this far...? Why did you have to give in... like me? You had no reason to..."

The darkness fully consumed him, "Oh... but I did have one. You... you were my reason." He smiled, "Seeing you suffer made me give in... watching you hurt others... giving them mercy.... So they won't feel like you." He laughed, "That's what set me off! Though... don't think of it as a bad thing... After being inspired by your actions, I wanted to be like my brother... powerful, merciful, relentless. I wanted to feel your pain, your suffering, so I could help, help you spread your mercy." I started to tear up, "Now brother, do you think we should go, give others better endings?"

"N-No, Dream... that's-" He cuts me off.

"What...?!"

"... We can't... you can't..."

"Why? ... Don't tell me you're scared?" He laughed, "No, you can't be... unless you're weak. But how can you be weak? You've killed so many beings, so many families, children and the elderly. But at the same time, I guess... powerful beings get unmotivated sometimes... maybe I should help you 'motivate' yourself again... with some practice targets, yes? There's so many out there, wanting mercy, wishing for release, will you give them that...? Which AU should we start with first? Underswap sounds fun, easy targets, a few tough ones but we'll manage."

"... I can't, we can't do this..."

He moved behind me, "Why not? It'll be fun, you'll be yourself again... unless you're not prepared yet. If that's the case, I'll do it myself. I'll come back with their dust for you."

"I said I'm not."

Dream grabbed me by the neck, "Stop it with the 'we can't'. I control this body, not you! I can do whatever I want and I won't allow a weakling like you to stop me."

He threw me towards our home and I coughed up blood, my vision was getting blurry and it felt like I was losing consciousness. I think we're going to die... but I don't want to die yet, I just... at this rate, I'm not going to be able to save us. The black blobs started to leak out of my eyes and mouth again and Dream was approaching me and wrapped his tentacle around me. Damn, if only I had some more time.

Just then, a gaster blaster attacked Dream's tentacle and someone teleported between us, is that (Y/N)? "Dream! Stop this immediately!"

Dream chuckled, "It seems like the princess has been snooping on our conversation, brother..."

"Please... why did you have to do this? I know you knew better! Now, look what you've done!"

"... Shut up! I don't need your stupid lectures..."

"Dream! I know you're a good person! Please... realize who you truly are!" Dream started to attack (Y/N). While (Y/N) was trying to protect herself and me from Dream's attacks, I started to transform back. Then, Dream impaled (Y/N) through the stomach, blood spilled out and Dream smiled.

"Thank goodness... once you dust, I'll win and you'll lose." Dream dropped (Y/N)'s body to the ground and walked towards me, with a big grin across his face. "Man, that was fast. She was quite impressive with her tricks and all, but in the end, she failed and died... If you stay as Nightmare now, would you like to join me or do I have to kill you too?" I stayed quiet but behind Dream, (Y/N) was slowly getting up. "Come on... decide! Or do I have to decide for you?"

(Y/N) dashed over to me and grabbed my arm and we teleported away. We were in a large library, is this her universe? I looked over to her, she was still bleeding heavily, blood staining her clothing and dripping from her mouth. 

With the remaining energy she had, she looks over to me, "... Are you... alright...?" Then, she faints.