Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Three . . .|
-good things don't last forever.

". . ." The car ride was silent. Jeongguk didn't say a word, didn't even spare a glance over at Jimin. He looked lost in some other mind set.

Jimin didn't understand what exactly had taken place. Everything was so quick, everything happened in a single snap. They were on their way back to J.U., the silence deadly until Jimin decided to break it.

"Why did you not fight back? Me and you both know you could've hit him back; done something. Yet you didn't, you let him hit me and you and then walk right over us like we were garbage." Jimin commented, looking over to see the mafia leader's reaction.

Jeongguk didn't say anything, he tongued his cheek and looked out the window, keeping a very dull look on his face with zero emotions. He didn't even look hesitant to say anything.

The elder waited on a response, feeling like he deserved one. Usually he didn't question Jeongguk's actions; he didn't give a second thought as to what his boss would do but this was something that just couldn't slip.

He narrowed his brows and leaned closer. "Jeon." He said sternly. "Why did you let him do that to us? What was the purpose?" Jimin asked, a tad bit angered at the actions taken, or, in this case, not taken.

"Jimin, for the sake of yours and mine, can you just stop." Jeongguk breathed out. He didn't raise his voice, didn't look over or curse, didn't even bat an eyelash. "I'm sorry."

Those two words startled Jimin. The scariest man he's even known apologized to him. He gulped and sat back, looking down at his lap. He pinched his lips together, listening to the soft silence with the occasional breathing to be heard.

He was shocked. Jeongguk was sounding a certain way and his actions were questionable. He undoubtedly had something weighing in on his shoulders with the way he took on the most recent situations.

Jimin felt like he knew what it had to do with but he wasn't going to push the topic any further than it had to be right now. This was something new; something he never had to really deal with. Sure he would have his days but being like this is new to Jimin.

     While the rest of the ride was silent, Jeongguk had diverted himself from reality just to try to collect his own thoughts. He didn't really know why he did the things he did either. He didn't have an answer and maybe that's why he wanted Jimin to stop asking so bad.

That or he knew exactly why and he was embarrassed to admit his own feelings. No one would know for sure unless Jeongguk was willing to confess.

     The two exited the vehicle, Jeongguk walking ahead of Jimin without giving a second thought. He proceeded to ignore him and keep to himself, not wanting to talk to his assistant.

Jimin wanted to push the topic a bit more now since they were getting to his office. Maybe if he could push him to release whatever it was that he was holding back, he would understand and be able to help.

The elder quite personally referred to Jeongguk as a friend. Yes, he was his boss and yes, he was a jerk and a half sometimes, but Jimin was there and they had each other. They always had each other. That's another reason why Jimin took surprise to Jeongguk letting himself get his ass beat by someone who definitely wasn't stronger than the mafia leader. Not only did he allow himself to get injured, he allowed Jimin to too.

"Can we talk about it?" Asked the older of the two, closing the door as they strolled into Jeongguk's office. "Jeongguk, I don't know what's going on but you and I both can see this is unlike you."

"I know, Jimin."

"Then why aren't you saying anything? What went on back there? You let Namjoon's ex-boyfriend hurt us."

"I know."

"Oh my- Jeongguk, for the love of-"

"I just know deep down that I made a mistake." Jeongguk breathed out, leaning on his desk with his back to his right hand man. "I know I messed up and I think it kills me more knowing I made a huge error."

"What do you mean?" Jimin inquired. "What mistake did you make, Jeongguk?" He added on to his previous inquiry.

". . ." The mafia leader gulped and closed his eyes.

Jimin took a few steps forward, placing his hand on the raven-haired's shoulder.

"I don't . . . Ugh, this is so stupid." Now the anger started to show. "The bullshit I do. Why did I sell the best thing I had? I'm a fucking idiot."

Jimin made the connection faster than the speed of light. "Mr. Kim?"

"Taehyung."

"Yes, him." Jimin replied, seeing the irritation light up on Jeongguk's face and spread like a wildfire. He heard him groan. "What mistake did you make? Selling Taehyung for profit?" Jimin wanted Jeongguk to say it.

"Apparently. I knew I shouldn't have. The fuck is money going to do for me, I'm already rich." Jeongguk said, turning a taking a seat on the wooden desk. "Already have everything I've ever wanted and more and then I just threw away something I had. Like it was fucking nothing. Like he was nothing. I did that."

"Ask Mr. Jung for him back." Jimin said as if it were the easiest thing to ever accomplish.

Jeongguk snapped his head over, a scowl on his lips. "Only idiots give something like him away, Jimin." He said, rolling his eyes and looking back down at his lap. "I guess I just felt . . . Happier, almost? I mean, not really but- I don't know. I feel stupid right now and there's not shit I can do. It's fucking ridiculous, I'm just going to have to figure something else out."

"Or," Jimin began, making the mafia leader face him again. "You can be smart and get him back."

This made the younger of the two frown ever so slightly, squinting his eyes in confusion. "I don't- I don't follow what you're saying exactly. Care to elaborate?"

Jimin snickered. "Who would've took you for being an imbecile."

"Watch it, Park." Jeongguk warned.

"Anyways, we do what we've been doing, what we've done, and just take him. We did it once, haven't we? We can do it again." Jimin only suggested this because he had faith in Jeongguk and could sense how regretful the leader was, he knew Jeongguk's heart was in the right place. Jimin trusted Jeongguk to make the right decision. "Gather men, train them right, we go in and just take him."

Jeongguk let out a quiet hum, slightly nodding his head. "I like where your mindset is at. How certain are you this is going to work?" He inquired with a bit of disbelief. He was shocked to hear Jimin suggest such a thing to him, after everything.

"I have enough confidence that you can do something good. You just better not mess up." Jimin remarked, pulling back. "Make up your mind sooner or later, good things don't last forever." He hummed with a small smile, parting ways and not allowing Jeongguk to say anymore.