Ch.13 Standing ovation

Chapter 13

When Mavi and Adam entered the building once more, she went immediately to her room. Adam popped his head into Owen's and let him know Mavi had gone to bed early.

Owen nodded as he wondered if she was feeling ill again. Adam assured him she was just tired and didn't want to be disturbed.

Across the hall, as Mavi changed out of her clothes and slipped on some pajamas, she took her phone from the dresser and opened a new text.

I am not going to train tomorrow. The text read.

A second later, Mavi's phone dinged.

Alright.....are you okay?

Mavi stared at the screen of her phone. How had she not noticed his actions before.....The thought of him being concerned for her made her heart leap. But just as quickly her little flutter was drowned by the knowledge that she was just his assignment. He was doing his job.

Mavi didn't respond to Owen's texts. She switched off her phone and pulled the covers over her head. Taking long deep breaths, she tried to calm her beating heart from growing too hopeful.

Owen was good at his job, he was the best.....Mavi tried to convince herself not to confuse his actions as something else. But as she laid awake that night thinking over every single moment since the day she had met him, she grew a little more infatuated with the man. She couldn't control the muscles on her face as she smiled widely thinking about the way he had taken pictures of her in New York.

Quickly, she pulled out her phone and scrolled to the picture of Owen and her. She stared at it until her phone screen dimmed and her eyes fluttered close.

That night, she dreamt of Owen again. She dreamt he held her in his arms as she slow danced in the palace ballroom. She wore a beautiful lilac dress and he looked dazzled in a suit. People gathered around the dance floor to watch them dance. Mavi should have been nervous, but she couldn't care less who watched.

But suddenly the dream changed and she was whisked away to the Kapoor penthouse. Mavi found herself standing in the halls as she heard voices coming from the living room. With quiet steps, she moved down the halls and entered the room to find Alec sitting on one of the large sofas. In his hands he held a little baby.

Mavi stared in confusion as Owen emerged from the back room with a frown on his face. He opened his mouth and said something but Mavi couldn't hear. The baby had begun to cry in Alec's arms.

Alec looked down at the baby and tried to pacify it but bouncing it in his arms. He looked over at Owen and said something. Mavi still couldn't hear them over the baby crying.

Then just like that, her eyes snapped open to the blaring alarm on her phone. She groaned as she regretted turning it back on to look at the pictures of her and Owen. Rolling over, she turned the device on to see it was only 6 AM.

Since she wasn't training, she decided to use her time wisely and do some more digging on dragons. Sitting up in bed, Mavi pulled out her laptop and began her search. After an hour she gave up and felt her lids closing. She still had a good few hours to herself, maybe going back to sleep was just what she needed.

But every time her eyes closed and she began to drift away, she heard the distinct sounds of large wings beating against the wind. She felt restless.

Jumping out of bed, she pulled on her gold ring and headed out the door. When Owen opened his door a few seconds later, he was confused to find Mavi standing outside.