Chapter 2: Back to Rhodes Island

The next day, Skadi and Grani had packed up their things and headed towards the direction of the closest town near them, unknown to them that there were bandits following them, the same crew from the bandits from Carol's village. Of course, Skadi noticed but they were nothing but her apathetic side kicked in, making her uncaring and she just kept moving forward with Grani beside her. They entered the town.

The town wasn't too big, not that of a normal city. It looked like one of those old wild west towns. The hunter and knight got some curies looks from people walking past them which soon turned to fearful gazes, stepping out of the from them soon as they recognized the blue and black hunter. They knew who she was, who wouldn't? Skadi didn't mind the gazes, she had no reason to and only turned the gazes with a gaze of her uninterested and cold face, making them look away.

"They don't like you, do they?" said Grani awkwardly and she got a hum from the stoic hunter.

"Let them. Fear is a good motivator, keeps people from straying away from the rules and peaking into places they shouldn't." Replied the hunter, her voice soft and monotone as ever. She moved her free hand and tipped her hat slightly downwards, hiding her eyes dull red eyes. They kept walking for minutes, the hot sun getting to Grani while Skadi looked unaffected, until they walked past a saloon.

This got the curiosity of Grani, it had been a while since she had a good drink. She hummed to herself before turning to Skadi who had stopped when the Kuranta did. "hey Skadi, care for a drink?" Grani asked to which the hunter rose an eyebrow before looking up at the sign of the building that readout 'Saloon.' Skadi thought for a moment, her eyes traveling to Grani before sighing. "fine but let us hurry it up."

Inside the Saloon, people were drinking, laughing and eating, talking and generally having a good time. The air was cool, a contrast to the outside where it was warm, and it had a welcoming feeling. The door to the bar opened, a jingle of the bells that got the curious gazes from some of the people. Grani had her arms to the sides, her lance on her back, indicating that it was her that had opened the door.

They looked uninterested and turned their gazes away but soon went back when they saw the taller, more intimating figure, her eyes concealed under her hat, walked in with a giant sword carried with one of her hands holding it behind her.

Grani smiled and walked forward with the taller figure tailing right behind the shorter figure. Most did not know who the two are, wouldn't be the first for them nor weird, but some bounty hunters and mercenaries instantly were on guard when they saw the tall figure behind Grani, causing silent murmurs to ensue.

The hunter and knight found an empty table and sat down, ignoring the curious, who went back to talking to their friends, and fearful stares of the people around them. Some started to stand up from their seats and headed out of the building.

Sitting down, Grani placed her hands on the table, her short pike on her back, while Skadi leaned her sword on the table, her arms crossed under her breasts and leg over the other, her hat still hiding her eyes from view. A waitress with brown hair, two-horse ears on her head, and bright red eyes walked over, a paper and a pen in her hand. "what can I get you two?" she asked Grani with a friendly tone, a kind smile on her face.

"One cold apple cider in a large mug with bubbles, if you would not mind, answered the Kuranta. The female nodded, writing it down on the paper before she turned her gaze to the hunter. "and what can I get you, miss?" Skadi slightly tilted her head up, letting one of her eyes looked at the waitress.

"I will have the same thing as her," she answered with a monotone tone while pointing to the kuranta knight sitting in front of her. The waitress wasn't affected by the blank and cold stare. Must have not been the first time she has met someone with the cold exterior, the hunter thought.