Chapter 31

I raised my hands in front of my face and let my eyes travel along the spotless skin. Nothing indicated that anything was wrong with me, yet I knew something wasn't right. Almost invisible tremors shook my hands and my entire body felt like I had stuffed myself into an additional layer of skin. Every single gesture I did, took an added toll on me.

Despite it already being two hours since Kasey dragged me back to Silver Moon, a part of me still felt like I was inside Allium. Back in the practice meadow with Darlene's crazed laughter ringing in my ears.

"... tell her?" A female voice pulled me back from my thoughts.

I was sitting on the small bed, in the even smaller guest room Vivian, Judy, and I had shared during our first stay in the werewolf castle. My back was facing the wall while I was turned in the direction of the softly open doorway. It was the reason why a set of voices from the outside managed to flood my ears.

"The Alpha King forbade us to tell her anything." A whinny edge clung to what I recognized as Vivian's voice.

"I'm not one of his mutts, so he can't order me around. I'm telling her." The other voice belonged to none other than Kasey. "You don't need to come with me if you don't want to."

"No, I'm staying. I just... Promise, you'll protect me with your magic if needed."

I blinked a couple of times at the wooden door. I wondered what Theo thought he could keep hidden from me while the two sets of footsteps stopped right on the other side of the door.

"Wait." Vivian lowered her voice. "What if we get Rob to tell her. The two have always been close."

Silently I slid off the bed and walked over to the door. Without pausing, I grabbed the knob and pulled the door wide open. Just outside the doorway stood Vivian and Kasey, with the former tugging on Kasey's arm.

The moment I opened the door both of them froze and their eyes jumped over to me.

"What is Theo keeping from me?" I crossed my arms in front of my chest and leaned against the side of the now open doorway.

"Well, you see..." Vivian glanced at Kasey with pleading eyes.

"Darlene's been pronounced as the High Priestess." Kasey shot the words straight out.

I blinked a couple of times, not able to comprehend what she was telling me. This couldn't be real. I hadn't felt anything. Surely I would have been aware of not being the High Priestess anymore. They couldn't just take my title without me knowing.

Then I remembered the strange weakness still gripping onto my every muscle. Could it be that this was the reason I was feeling so strange?

"She also sent a message to the castle, demanding for the werewolves to give you up. It means you're now a wanted witch. And if the werewolves don't do as said, she'll declare war among our two species."

"What are we going to do?" Vivian took a hold of Kasey's hand.

"What else? I'm going after Darlene."

Without another thought, I pushed past the two and continued to march down the hallway. There was only one goal on my mind. To find Theo.

I couldn't believe he thought he could keep a thing like this hidden from me. It was, after all, about my own people.

"You can't leave the castle!" Kasey shouted at my retrieving figure.

She and Theo were both becoming predictable. Of course, they wouldn't allow me to walk out of the castle and face Darlene on my own. However, no matter how they felt about this, it was exactly what I was going to do. There was no way I would idly stand by while Darlene harmed my own people and tarnished the position of the High Priestess.