Chapter 4 - Taken

Elena's POV

Another week has gone by and Papà and I had a good talk. He is willing to let me go, but I am to keep in constant contact with him. He wants to know my every move. The retreat doesn't allow cellular phones while inside, but I'll tell him that when I arrive in France. I need this and I cannot let the smallest of things jeopardize it. It will be ok. He will be ok.

Somehow, my mother managed to convince him to allow me to travel as a civilian. No private jets, no bodyguards or constant interference. I don't even want to think, let alone know, how she convinced him of this one. I won't deny that it feels like a breath of fresh air to know I will be doing this on my own. I will be in control of it all.

I finished packing my bags and began checking that I have everything I need. Two weeks have passed since that dreadful night and Sierra has visited me every day. She never misses a moment to check-in and I have never been more thankful for her.

I attempted at dragging my bag up the steps when I felt a hand in the middle of my back as Niccolo grabbed the handle. I let go and he pulled the bag up and carried it into the corridor.

"Sorella (sister), are you sure about this?"

"Yes, Fratello (brother), I need this. I'll be alright." I nudged him gently.

"You call me if anything happens. Even the smallest of things that make you feel uncomfortable, you call me and I'll be on the jet out. Got it?" He instructed me.

"Yes, Niccolo." I rolled my eyes out of his sight.

He carried my bag down the rest of the stairs as we met our parents at the bottom. I could see the concern written all over my father's face as he started getting anxious the closer we came to say goodbye.

I decided to walk up to him and stand on the tip of my toes to hug him. I flung my arms around his neck and squeezed him tightly.

"Thank you, Papà. I love you." I whispered before placing a kiss on his cheek as he released a long breath.

"I love you too, baby girl. Do you remember our deal? Constant updates. And if anything feels unusual, you call me. I'll get you the first flight out. I have contacts around, Elena. I just need to establish communication when needed."

I nodded at him as he spoke. He then took a bunch of papers from the entrance table and handed them over to me.

"You depart at 10 this evening. You'll arrive in Lisbon at 9 in the morning. You will catch your connecting flight in Lisbon after a 5-hour layover and should arrive in France around 5 in the afternoon."

I nodded again and took the papers from him, reading through them as he informed me of the details.

As I looked up I noticed my mother hugging my father from behind, whispering into his ear causing him to smile then reply with a nod before squeezing his arm over hers.

"I'm going to get the car ready." He mentioned before walking outside.

"I'm going to get you some snacks." My mother spoke sternly with a knowing look as she walked towards the kitchen.

I turned to Sierra who was waiting patiently with Luciana on her hip. She tilted her head, edging closer to me. She gave me a hug which Luciana squealed at before wrapping her tiny arms around my neck. I grabbed her and plastered a couple of kisses on her face as she giggled.

After handing her back, Sierra squeezed my hand gently. Just as we were about to leave I heard Camila's vociferous voice coming from the deck.

"You better not be leaving without saying goodbye to me." She warned with a quirk of her brow.