Chapter Thirty Eight - Present

Present

Victoria

I was pretty sure I had snatched Noah's ability of speech because he stared at me as if I'd just confessed to being abducted by aliens and that I could fly a UFO spaceship.

The corners of his lips turned up. "I can't tell if you're serious or joking."

"Look at my face, Noah. I'm not laughing."

"You want to marry me to settle a score with Tyler?" He chuckled, "I always knew you wanted to die young, but now I'm sure you want to send us both on a suicide mission."

"It's not just about settling a score." I clarified. "I wanted him to leave me alone after he returned, and not find ways to torment me. If I let Tyler have his way, it would be like history repeating itself, and I won't have that. I have no other option you see. I need him gone from my life!"

"And you think marrying me would accomplish that?" He asked.

"You're the only person that can go against him because you know him well. I can't ask that of anyone else. If you agree to this arrangement, we can file for divorce a few months later."

Noah's expressions had turned from wary to amused, "What if I say I want it to be a real marriage?"

"Noah..."

He was up and on his knees in front of me seconds later; his fingers grasped mine as he looked straight into my eyes. "I like you, Vicky, don't doubt that. Even when you made the wrong choice and chose to date Tyler, I hoped you would come to your senses and notice me."

I felt guilty for never acknowledging Noah's feelings. I wondered if things would have been different had I chosen Noah over Tyler. Deep down, I knew I would still make the same choices again, regardless of the consequences. It would always be Tyler.

"I want us to get married not because of this twisted revenge. I want you, and I want this marriage to be real. If you still have feelings for him, I'm certain I can change your mind once you're my wife. I think it would be comfortable for us to get into the union as friends. I would love you and take care of you. That's my promise."

My heart warmed. He wanted to marry me for who I was and not because he pitied me.

"I'm flattered, Noah, but you don't understand." I squeezed his hand. "I can't spoil your life by staying married. We have to get divorced."

"Why would you spoil my life? If it's your asthma, it's not a big deal. We can get you the best treatment in this country."

My eyes filled to the brim. "It's not about that." I couldn't keep this a secret any longer. I needed to open the can of worms, "Noah, I'm barren. I can't have children. Do you understand why I can't stay married to you?"

The shock registered on his face and I could tell that he hadn't expected that. I closed my eyes as seconds ticked by and he remained silent. When I opened them, I expected to see the rejection on his face instead I met with silent understanding.

He appeared to be thinking for a while. "Does Tyler know?"

"I don't know, and it doesn't matter. If he finds out the truth..."

"...he might stop chasing after you. The Lockhart's have always been obsessed with producing an heir. If Tyler finds out that you can't give him any children, he won't pursue you any longer."

Noah was right. Could I confess to Tyler and be okay with his reaction? What if he was disgusted, or worse if he showed sympathy or pity?

"I can't. I don't want him to find out the truth." I blurted out.