2

[02

[02. NEW FAMILY ]

"Think of me as your new big brother." Bolin said and wrapped his arm around Kai. The minute you walked inside the airship, you heard a familiar noise of motorbikes. The police were here.

"Guys, I think we've got trouble!" Mako yelled to the others.

"No, it's not trouble, they are-" you tried to explain but no one listened. The airship's entrance opened wide and Korra ran outside, everyone following her from behind.

"Release the boy and the girl or we'll take them by force!" The Sheriff commanded.

"The outlaws! They are after us, get us out of here!" Kai anxiously lied."We are not running from anyone" Korra confidently spoke, reassuring Kai with a nod.

"Kai! What did you do?! Wait guys, this is just the police! Not the outlaws!" You yelled and jogged closer to them.

"Huh?" Korra furrowed her eyebrows as you earned confused looks from everybody else.

"This kid is a thief!" One of the deputies loudly spoke. "Wait - where is Kai?" Korra asked, as your anxiety rose.

"Right here" Mako said, walking towaryou, dragging Kai from his shirt. On his other hand, he was holding a sack. "I found him slipping away. With a sack of gold!" Mako added and threw the sack on the ground, coins splashing around.

"Are you serious right now? You promised me! Kai... you promised to stop doing this." You stated, feeling betrayed.

"These siblings, got adopted by a really nice family, six months ago. And how did the boy repay them? By taking their intire life savings! We've been after him ever since." The Sheriff explained and then looked at you. "And you. Foolish girl, helping your brother get away with it!"

"Sheriff, I'm sure Y/n was just tying to protect her little brother, like every person would." Korra said and gave you a sympathetic smile.

"Yeah, don't drag her into this! She did nothing wrong" Mako defended you, agreeing with Korra. You mouthed a thank you, before burying your face in your hands, trying to calm down.

"I am sorry! I'm sorry! Please listen to me! That was old me. Ever since I got airbending, I changed! I don't know how to explain it but I feel airbending chose me for a reason. Like I'm a new person!" Your brother said and pleaded the policemen to let him go.

"No, you are under arrest. Y/n, I am afraid your little brother is going to jail" The Sheriff said and the deputies picked Kai up.

"Oh c'mon! He is a child, he is making mistakes! He won't do anything like that again, you have my word!" you begged.

"Wait! You guys got the family's savings back. Now let us take Kai" Mako spoke up.

Tenzin shook his head, disagreeing with Mako and kept saying that the first new member of the Air nation would be a liar and a thief.

"I agree with Mako. Tenzin, he just needs some guidance. With a little help of Y/n, we can give it to him" Korra said and smiled. Tenzin hesitated for a second but eventually gave in. "You can release the boy into our custody"

You gasped and jumped with excitement, Kai and you running to hug Korra. "Welcome to the family guys!" Bolin said and hugged you tightly.

"Thank you!" You screamed to Tenzin and he awkwardly smiled.
"Okay, It's time to leave now" Tenzin yelled and everyone started walking in the airship. You noticed Jinora talking to Kai, her cheeks were slightly pink.

"These two are going to end up together, don't you think?" You asked the tall firebender, who was stranding next you and smiled.

"None of my business" he replied coldly.

"Mako, joke around a bit! Why are you so bitter?" You said and punched him playfully on the arm.

"You're right, sorry" he sighed and laughed. "I actually work for the police force, back in Republic city. I'm used to being cold and serious"

"oh? A firebender convict and a police officer! Who would've imagined? I hope you don't arrest me oofficer" you smirked and stuck your tongue out.

"I will, if you call me a convict again. They forced me to take part at this ridiculous show!" He said in annoyance and rolled his eyes. You laughed.

"Come on, let's go. Tenzin will get kranky if we don't leave soon" Mako warned and wrapped his arm around your shoulders. "I'll show you around the airship"

"Okay, sure. But one more thing" you said and he nodded. "Sure. What is it?"

"I just wanted to thank you for earlier. Thanks for defending me and telling the police to let Kai go. I owe you" you explained and looked him in the eyes.

"No, you don't owe me anything. I just wanted to help, because I would do the same for my little brother. Trust me, I know what's it like to live like this-"

"Are you coming or not?" Korra shouted, impatiently looking at you.
Mako chuckled and started walking.

"Wait! What do you mean you know what's it like?! I want to know!" you furrowed your eyebrows and ran behind him.

"I guess I could tell you the story some other time"