Chapter 15, Compromised

*Image above is the cold, smooth gem that is talked about in this chapter. I'll put this * so that you'll know what I'm talking about.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 1,171

- Void Icefall -

Leo and I run together as we run through the long, carpeted halls. Thick velvet curtains cover the long windows littered along the walls of the hallway. 

I'm incredibly thankful that I memorized the castle's layout beforehand because the Vexes seem to love making things confusing. Many turns later, because apparently, the Vexes dislike simple, straight hallways, we eventually find the hallway leading to the King's room and the Prince's room.

Slowing to a stop at the fork of the hallway, I listen for any noise. When I hear none, I nod at Leo. The hallway forks into two shorter hallways. One leads to the King's room and the other is to Prince's room. Our sources could only tell us so much before people became suspicious of them, forcing them to lie low. 

Either way, if things go our way, both will be dead by the end of the night.

Even though it's unprofessional, I give Leo a hug, just in case. He's surprised at first but hugs me back. 

The simple hug says everything I can't say at the moment, because of the need for silence, for the mission.

I slowly step back, turn around, and I don't look back.

Leo and I split up.

I unsheath my favorite dagger with the secret scenic picture of the moon and stars and start down the dark hallway that eventually leads to the bedroom door. 

Coming to a stop, I silently open the door, slip into the room, and slowly close the door behind me. I survey the room, ready to stab anyone who tries to jump me.

There's a glass door that seems to lead to the balcony. The blue, thick curtains are pulled back, letting what little light the stars give off to enter the room. A bookshelf full of worn books lays against the wall to the left and an unfinished game of chess sits on a desk made out of birch wood.

All of this takes a minute to observe, and my eyes land on the biggest thing in the room - a beautifully carved wooden bed, with blue covers, and - is that a lump under those blue covers?

I quickly realize that the lump is a sleeping person. 

Sure, I could use my powers for a quick kill from far away, but being a Hush, our signature way to kill is a good old-fashioned slit to the throat. A silent rebellion against the King of the Hostiles, who always wants us to use our powers. To show us, his pets, off whenever he has a chance.

Using our powers when it's unnecessary for an assassination feels like cheating for some reason. So we use our skills. And we like to keep it that way.

Without a sound, I amble towards the bed. My dagger still out, I reach and grab the person's neck, tilting it up.

As much as I don't want to kill this Prince or anyone in that matter, my family and Leo's lives hang in the balance. And I won't be the reason they die.

I go in for a quick slice, but a hand grabs my arm, stopping it.

The person under the blue covers sits up, revealing his handsome, princely face. 

The hand grabbing my wrist came from none other than the Prince of the Vexes.

I'm quick to react, though, and in less than two seconds I undo his grip on my wrist and instead grab his. I twist his arm at a painful angle and force him off the bed and onto the ground.

 And then I'm sitting on top of his stomach, putting all my weight into keeping him down. Still holding one of his arms at a painful angle, I keep his other arm pinned to the side of his body using my leg. 

Holding up my dagger to his exposed neck, I scoff. He tried to stop me, but you can't escape Death's Fury. 

 "Trying to put up a fight, little prince? I like the spirit, but you need to die now." I scolded him like I was scolding a dog for eating my food instead of a man trying to escape death.

I'm already cutting his throat and the skin breaks, blood dribbling out more and more as the cut gets deeper.

But it seems the Prince isn't out of surprises yet.

Suddenly, I'm on my back and the Prince is sitting on me. 

And at this point, I know there's a traitor amid the Hostiles. Someone was spying for the Vexes. Nobody outdoes me without knowing my moves, and its apparent someone has taught the Prince just that. 

And even though his neck is bleeding from the almost fatal wound, he has the nerve to smirk. I try to move, but he's a lot heavier than me. He holds one of my hands in a vice-like grip while my other hand is pinned against me, my dagger just out of my reach.

By now, I'm beyond rage. This fancy little prince is besting me, a trained and experienced assassin, and one of the best, nonetheless. When I get out of this situation, I hope the prince doesn't think I'll let him die a quick death, because I'm planning on doing just the opposite.

And though I'd love to best him in hand to hand combat, at his point I just need to use my powers, finish the job, and get out of here. I do not doubt that if the prince knew beforehand about the planned assassination, then he probably already has help on the way.

I reach for my main power, the power of the Frigids, but I don't feel it. I try again.

Nothing. 

*That's when I notice that the prince is holding something up against my neck, but it doesn't feel like a dagger or knife. 

*It's smooth and surprisingly cold, but that doesn't bother me since I'm a Frigid.

I don't like whatever it is though, because I have a feeling that it's messing with my powers.

"Don't like the feeling of being powerless?" The prince asks me in a teasing tone.

And then I know for sure something's wrong.

The plan, or what was the plan, is a fail. 

At this point, I just need to get Leo out of here.

I glare at the Prince, and then I let out a shrill, high whistle. 

I hope with everything in me that Leo heard my whistle, the signal to get the heck out of here.

It dawns on me now that this was a trap, and I'm already caught.

*How do you think Void is going to get out of this situation? Let me know down in the comments