Between The Bars

Matty is sat in the middle of his bed, guitar in his lap strumming the familiar chords to a song I knew. His back facing me so I couldn't see his face.

Drink up, baby, look at the stars
I'll kiss you again, between the bars
Where I'm seeing you there, with your hands in the air
Waiting to finally be caught

I stood in the doorway, admiring him. Remembering when we were kids and how he'd read to me whenever he could, acting out the scenes sometimes so I could visualise it. He was my best friend.

Drink up one more time and I'll make you mine
Keep you apart, deep in my heart
Separate from the rest, where I like you the best
And keep the things you forgot

He pauses, I see his shoulders move as he sighs and finishes the last lines. He had changed so much though, I knew he still loved me but not as much as he loved the drugs. They were making him into his worst fear and there was nothing I could do about it. I could tell he was clean right now, but that was only because the hospital had scared him.

People you've been before that you
Don't want around anymore
That push and shove and won't bend to your will
I'll keep them still

As if he could now sense my presence, he turns around and smiles at me. A tired, worn out smile that barely reached his eyes. His glasses were perched on the end of his nose, curls scattered across his head and falling in his face. He looked like Matty. 

"Hey Sting." He breaks the silence. I swallow the lump in my throat.

Matty places the guitar to the side and opens his arms out. I move from my place of leaning on the frame, letting myself curl into his arms. He smelt of strong cologne and cigarettes, a smell that had become home for me. It had been a few days of him being home and I had barely left him alone out of worry.

I feel him press a kiss to my temple, holding me for a few moments to him. He picks up a file from the side dresser and flicks through the pages delicately.

"Jamie gave me this earlier, it's another album proposition." He takes his glass of red wine from the side and sips it, offering me some.

"What do you think of this?" He asks, pointing at the paper in front of him.

I lean down, reading what was on display to me.

"You sure you're ready to make another album yet?" I ask him curiously.

Matty nods "Yeah, I think he wants me to keep busy, not told the boys yet. I'll be taking my time with it though, already got a few new songs."

He picks up his phone and opens voice memos, clicking play.

He shifts, his chin leaning atop of my head. "Tell me what you think of this yeah?"

His guitar sounds through his phones speaker. I could make out a few words here and there, something about waiting outside his hotel room and being lonely.

"I always enjoy the acoustics." I tell him "You have to look after yourself though."

"I will, don't you worry."

a/n: this is a filler chapter. the next few are jumping to the rehab / present-ish time.

hope everyone is doing ok! to be truthful i didn't upload for a while because i've not felt like it. it's a stressful time so don't feel like you need to do things to be motivated etc , relax x