Movie Night

I sleep in Saturday, and have a few blissful seconds of ignorance when I wake up before the night before comes flooding back.

I can't have Arlo without Oliver; that's what it comes down to. Maybe Arlo will be right, though, in saying that Oliver will get bored. I just hope that when he does, he doesn't convince Arlo to get bored, too.

I feel for their bitemarks on my shoulder, but they've disappeared. Maybe, maybe it was all a dream—

The bluish bruises on my hips tell me differently.

I roll over in bed and grab my phone.

A text from Arlo while I was sleeping: Movie tonight?

I smile, running my tongue over my tooth gem (a habit I haven't been able to shake) and reply: Yes please.

Lila's sleeping in, too, because her bedroom door is closed when I go out to the kitchen to pour some cereal. My appetite is back with a vengeance.

As I munch on my Fruity Pebbles, I spread my homework over her coffee table, throw on a show on Netflix, and get to work. Focusing on things other than Arlo and Oliver give my brain a break from the mental torture.

Lila comes out eventually, around 11, which is pretty late for her.

"I think that food put me into a coma," she says, messing her hair and firing up her Keurig. "Where'd you go, anyway?"

I squirm a little on the couch. "This steakhouse by the school. I can't remember the name."

"Hm," she says vaguely. "If I'd known about it when I went to Laurent I would've eaten there every day."

I'm not quite ready for Arlo to meet Lila, so when he says he's on his way over to get me for the movie I make sure I'm waiting for him on the sidewalk outside of the apartment.

The sun's about to set over the skyline, casting the city in blue. A crisp breeze is in the air; fall is approaching. I opted for an oversized Laurent University hoodie (from Lila's closet) in the school's colors: Red and Gold. It's not quite cold enough to justify leggings, so I just tucked the front of the hoodie into a pair of ripped jean shorts. My unmanageable hair is loose, wisps floating in the wind when a gust picks up.

Then Arlo's Jeep comes into view. My heart gives a little stutter as it pulls up.

But when he puts it in park, Oliver jumps out of the passenger side.

He's got a black crewneck on and torn, dark jeans. A thin gold chain hangs from his neck, not unlike the one I have.

"We're gonna be late for the movie," is all he says, jumping in the back seat.

"He ambushed me on my way out of the apartment," Arlo says when I climb in next to him, watching my reaction. "I didn't have time to give you a heads up."

He's got his hair pulled back into a bun and he's swapped out his dangly earrings for two little stars. His own crewneck is a maroon color and his jeans don't have holes.

If he wasn't so cute, I might be more upset. But I smile. I don't want to ruin tonight right off the bat; I'm sure Oliver will do that for all of us before the night's over.

"Let's go, grandpa," Oliver snaps.

"Don't want to miss the previews?" I clap back, glad he's irritated.

"Maybe I like the previews."

"Then who's really the grandpa here?"

Arlo laughs, but that shuts Oliver up.