Chapter 18

As the morning light filtered through the curtains in his room, Luca slowly opened his eyes, gazing up at his ceiling and the events of the previous day coming to the forefront of his mind.

Gazing down at his mate, his eyes widened slightly when he saw that she was watching him intently and a frown on her face.

"Will it hurt?" Was the first thing she asked, the moment his gaze landed on her.

Brushing the stray hair from her face, "At first..." He told her truthfully.

"And when I change into a wolf, will it be as painful as I have seen it before happen?" She asked.

"Yes, the first few times will be difficult, until your body gets used to the change." He replied, "Though you won't be changing into a wolf at the moment..."

Frowning in concentration, "But I thought it would happen after you have done the transformation?" She asked, confused at his explanation.

Placing a kiss on her temple, "Your wolf will instinctually know, that it is too high a risk, changing into your wolf form. Even though you will have all the senses of a werewolf, your wolf will only come after the birth of our pups, when your body is strong enough to handle the transformation and there is no risk in harming the pup." He explained the basic facts.

"So why do the change now?" She asked, stress in her voice.

"The body of human cannot handle the stress and stamina required to maintain a werewolf pregnancy. Being a werewolf, your healing powers will come into effect, your body structure will be stronger and more resilient, too handle a werewolf baby's demand on your body." He further explained, lightly stroking her back, feeling the tension in her body, "And being with one pup is risky for a human, then in your case being pregnant with three, your small form will not handle it, you will be drained of necessary nutrients so fast, that you will weaken and then fade away."

"And is there no other way?" She queried.

Luca winced at a thought, pain and sadness in his eyes, "Yes...we terminate the pregnancy." He stated bluntly, his voice gruff with sad emotions.

Jade pulled herself up, gazing intently at Luca, shock in her eyes, "That does not even enter into the equation!" She exclaimed.

"I know...!" He growled lowly, "But I rather have you accept the bond, because you want to be my mate and not because you feel the need to do it, to save our children."

Jade lay back down, her head on his chest, listening to the comforting sound of his heartbeat, deep in thought.

She asked herself, if she was doing this for the kids alone or if she really wanted to be with Luca.

For the longest time, Luca remained quiet, silently and painfully waiting, he would not force the bond, he wanted Jade to be with him, because she wanted too and not because of their kids. He might have been blind in not realizing from the beginning that she was his mate, but now that he knew, his soul was fully invested in her accepting him as her mate, friend, lover, life-partner...