Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

IDIOT GOLDMAN

"All right, everyone," Ms. Dailey announced from the front of the classroom. I had been scribbling absentmindedly in my notebook, which probably wasn't the best idea since this class was proving to be considerably more difficult than what I was used to. Up until now school had been easy for me, but this was my first college-level course, and for the first time in my life, I had to figure out what studying was. "We have now reached the end of the first marking period. You may remember that at the beginning of the year I promised to assign you new lab partners at this point." Some of my classmates started getting excited, hoping they might be paired with their friends, while others seemed less enthused by the possibility of being paired with someone they didn't like. In fact, the biggest reason Ms. Dailey was changing our lab partners was because of the people who were unhappy with their current lab partners. "Now, I don't want to hear any complaints. These changes will last until midterm."

I snuck a glance at my current lab partner, Walter Addens, and felt relief knowing that I wouldn't have to sit by him anymore. He was a nice guy and all, but his short black hair was always greasy and he smelled like he hadn't been near a shower a day in his life.

"The list of your new lab partners is posted on the door. Be sure to look at it before you leave today. Seating arrangements will be changed on Monday." As if on cue, the bell rang. "Have a good weekend, everybody."

Ms. Dailey walked calmly back to her desk as the room erupted into chaos. Everybody rushed to pack up their stuff and leave.

"See you later, man." Walter gave a small wave as he slung his backpack over his shoulder. "Oh, and here's your pencil back. Thanks for letting me borrow it."

"No problem, Walter. Have a good weekend."

"You too, Elliot."

I sat back in my chair and watched the tall, lanky boy fight his way to the door. Getting to the door wasn't that hard, as his odor made people naturally clear a path for him. He would've been fine if he just started using deodorant, but unfortunately, I don't think he got that memo in middle school.

The side of Walter's face was still visible to me as he read the list. I watched him as his eyes scanned the paper, thinking his facial expression might reveal something about his new partner, but he remained impassive, turning to leave once he had seen the name.

I waited for the next throng of sweaty teenagers to clear out before checking the list. Other people tended to make me feel uncomfortable, especially when they invaded my personal space. I closed my notebook and slid it into my backpack at a leisurely pace. Then I sat back in my seat and watched my classmates with mild curiosity.

They were all crowded around the door, trying to find out who their new partners would be. A couple of girls squealed excitedly when they learned they were paired with their friends, and a few guys groaned in frustration at the names they found listed beside their own.

Ms. Dailey was infamous at Pinecrest for pulling stuff like this: "creative" ways to "inspire" learning. Dreading the work was one thing, but forced partnerships and having to be part of a team was quite another. Still, as long my new partner smelled better than Walter, I would be all right—unless it were Morgan Cook or Nate Anderson. Both of those boys hated me. They made it their mission to make my life an absolute hell, along with another friend of theirs, Cole. Thankfully, though, he was not in AP Chemistry.

The minute hand of the clock hanging on the wall to my right ticked slowly; it was fitting—sitting in science class feeling the actual, physical pressure of time. I had approximately seven minutes until I missed the bus and would have to walk the four miles home. Begrudgingly, I pushed my chair back, grabbed my backpack, and walked to the front of the room.