Thirty-One: Only Better

Percy P.O.V:

I was sitting in the med bay, having finally dragged myself there. After a quick shot of morphine, I had snapped my finger bones back into place, wincing slightly at how badly I had broken them. I suppose, looking back on the severity of my self-inflicted injury, it made sense that Canary had passed out.

Still makes her a loser though.

I splinted and tightly wrapped my fingers, which is quite the impressive feat since I did it with one hand. I am honestly pretty proud of myself.

I was cleaning up the bloody mess I had made when the door to the med bay slammed open, revealing an extremely angry Batman and an incredibly worried Canary.

"Don't you think it would have been nice to mention you have an extreme case of PTSD? With that level of trauma, you are most certainly not qualified to handle this job." The Dark Knight sneered at me. I deadpanned at him.

"Really? I am not qualified to teach because I have trauma? You show me one Justice League member or superhero that has trained these kids who doesn't have trauma. It comes with the job, Batsy. Besides, it's because of my trauma that I'm qualified to teach them and you know it." At my "Batsy" remark, the Caped Crusader twitched a little, a certain clown no doubt poisoning his thought process at the mention of the nickname.

"You still should have informed use of your mental health status." He replied gruffly, obviously not pleased with how this conversation was going. I scoffed.

"It was in the file Diana gave you. It's your own dam fault you didn't bother to read it. Aren't you supposed to be a detective?" I taunted. If possible, he seemed more put off. Canary took over for the Bat, her worry and concern driving her actions.

"Percy, you just had one of the most intense flashbacks I have ever seen. You had to break your fingers to snap yourself out of it. As your counselor, I cannot recommend or support you being in this environment. Please, for your sake, go home and get better." Her eyes pleaded with me. Aww. She was generally concerned. Cute.

"You must not see very many flashbacks then huh?" I let out a low laugh, a dark edge creeping into it. "That was one of my tame ones. Besides your not my counselor. You are just the chick that had the unfortunate luck of giving me a psych evaluation. That's just bad luck on your end. Additionally, Diana asked me here. She is the only one who as any authority to tell me to leave. Besides, I do believe the kiddies have gotten attached. It would be a shame if you had me dragged out now, just when we are starting to make progress." The both of them seemed unnerved by my answer. Looks like it still hasn't occured to them that just because they're heroes doesn't mean I am going to follow their little rules.

"Progress? You mean other that teaching them lethal techniques?" Canary snapped at me, obviously displeased with my refusal of her counsel. I smiled.

"Follow me."

Batman P.O.V:

Canary and I followed Percy through the winding tunnels of the Cave. Her footsteps were silent, her feet falling one directly in front of the other. Her posture was stiff. I had never really looked at Percy before, having really only found her as an annoyance to get rid of. But now...

The way she moved portrayed that of a soldier. But not one that would fight in a war today, with a gun or a bomb. No. Percy Jackson walked like an assassin. A ninja. She walked like she was trained by the League of Shadows. She walked like I did.

Only better.

She led us down towards the training room, where we heard the sounds of sparing. She pushed open the door and all sounds immediately stopped. The Team turned toward the door, saw Percy, and fell into a line in front of her, shoulder to shoulder. Percy looked each of them in the eye, acknowledging them.

"Continue." With that word, the Team nodded and rushed back to what they were doing before we walked in. Percy lead us along the side of the room and up onto an observation deck.

My eyes swept over the room, searching for Robin, Dick. I really was curious what Percy had him doing, after all, he was acting different during patrols and missions. I nearly sighed in relief when I saw that he was doing hand to hand sparing with Artemis. Neither of them were armed,  but I noticed that they both had heavy seta of weights on their arms, legs, and chest. I wonder how much she had them working with.

I looked over to another section of the room, where Kaldur, Wally, Conner, and M'gahn were sparing.  I couldn't make out all of what they were doing, but from where I was standing it looked like they were having an every man for himself sparing match. All of them had varying degrees of weights and suppression bracelets on as well.

A flicker of movement caught my eye and I turned to see Percy with two fingers in her mouth. A sharp whistle pierced the air and all the lights in the room cut out. I waited to hear the sounds of panic but instead, all I heard was the sounds of their sparring continue. None of them so much as flinched at the change in setting.

"If they can fight in the dark," I heard Percy say off to my right, "then they can fight anywhere." She whistled again and the lights returned. Only now, there were obstacles everywhere, the very layout of the room had shifted. Everyone still had their partners, and was fighting just has they had before.

Percy's training certainly was interesting...