Chapter 18

Adalee's POV

"Alyssa?" I ask, confused about everything. What is my sister doing here with Alicia?

"The one and only." Alyssa smirks, flipping her hair over her shoulder. I haven't seen my sister in seven years, and yet here she is, with my mate's kidnapped sister. Alyssa turns to face Victoria, who is slightly behind me. "You've held up your end of the deal, I will hold up mine."

She pushes Alicia in Victoria's direction, Alicia stumbling. She rushes into Victoria's open arms, sobbing into her chest. Alicia looks up at me with fear but gives me a small smile. She must not believe that I had anything to do with this. Victoria suspects me, which hurts my heart.

It's my turn to speak up, "What was the deal? What are you doing, Alyssa?" Turning to look at her accusingly, I notice her dark brown hair flows over her shoulders gracefully. She got my dad's hair while I got my mom's.

Alyssa says, "I would give Alicia back when you were returned to me. Here you are, so I gave her back. I keep my word." I turn to look at Victoria, a pleading look on my face. I don't want to leave her, wanting to stay with her forever.

All Victoria does is walk back towards the ocean, Alicia still in her arms. Without a look back, they walk into the water and swim away.

The trackers follow quickly behind, leaving my sister and me alone.

As soon as everyone is gone, Alyssa grabs my arm and pulls me to the house. I struggle in her hold, wanting an explanation. "Explain everything. Now."

"You might want to sit down for this." We walk into the house, me seeing it's empty.

"Where's dad?" I ask, wondering why he isn't here to hit me.

"He moved after what he did to you, not wanting to get caught. I live here now," Alyssa says, sitting down on the couch in the living room. I sit down, getting comfortable. I have a feeling this will be a long talk.

Alyssa starts, "Our mom was a mermaid hunter. She tracked down the dangerous mermaids and killed them. She trained me, knowing I would need to protect you someday."

I look to her in shock, surprised to say the least. My mom was a mermaid hunter? Everyone I've met has been so nice, I can't imagine there being dangerous mermaids. Not only that, but my mom was so kind, she couldn't have killed mermaids.

She continues on, "Wanting to give you extra protection, she gifted you that seashell necklace. It protects you from a mermaid's compulsion, meaning they can't control you."

Holding the seashell in my hand, I think about this. The reason Victoria couldn't make me forget about her was because of this necklace. If my mom hadn't gifted this to me, I never would have remembered Victoria. I would have never found out we were mates.

"I knew that there was a possibility that the mermaids had you, so I stole the queen's sister, hoping to get you back. And I did, here you are." Alyssa finishes telling me the important information, pausing. "What did they do to you there? Did they hurt you?"

"No! The queen was so sweet to me, making me feel cared for. I've never felt that since mom died," I inform, leaving out that Victoria and I were mates. I'm scared that she would hurt her if she found out.

"That was just to make you feel safe before someone hurt you. Mermaids are not nice creatures." Alyssa holds my hands. "I'm here for you now, I left to hunt and go to college, but I'm here now. I'm not going anywhere."

All I can do is nod, not knowing what to say. I stand up and hug her goodnight, leaving up to my room.

I have a lot to think about.