Chapter 25

Evie POV

I’m on cloud nine right now.

Sleeping at Tony’s was perfect. I love falling asleep in his arms. I haven't felt that safe in such a long time.

I decide to go spend the rest of my afternoon at the dance studio to practice a new routine I found online.

I get lost in the music and by the time I get it down, its starting to get dark outside. I pack up my things and quietly leave the warehouse through the door that empties out onto Second Avenue.

Instead of going down Second Avenue like I usually do, I make a left and go down Bernard since it has more streetlights. I’m walking for no more than five minutes when I spot Tony on the opposite side of the street.

Thats strange. He told me he had to watch Emi tonight. I hang back in the shadows and watch as he waits around until a shady looking guy shows up. He shakes his head looks back and forth three times before he hands Tony what looks like a wad of cash. I watch as Tony slips him a little bag of white powder and throws up a P with his hands. The guy does the same and quickly walks away.

Drugs?!

Suddenly it all makes sense.

The odd hours, the signs him and Smiley would throw up, Juan getting shot, Tony disappearing all the time and all the money Tony suddenly has.

Tony is part of Pandilla.

I pull my hat down low and start walking as fast as I can. I can’t let him see me. As mad as I am, I don’t want to cause a scene on the street.

As soon as I get home I send him a text.

We need to talk.

His response comes in less than a minute.

Can you come over at 11 tonight?

Yea.

Okay mamas. See you then.

11 can't come soon enough. As soon as I reach his front door. It opens and Tony leans up against the door frame.

“Hey negrita. I could get used to seeing you twice in one day.” He leans down to kiss me but I brush right by him into his living room.

“Uhh, okay. Hi to you too.” He closes the door and then turns to face me. “What’s so urgent we had to talk about it tonight?”

“What do you do for work Tony?”

“What?”

“What. Do. You. Do. For. Work?” I cross my arms and glare up at him.

“We talked about this Evie. I work for a guy on the West Si—”

“Don’t lie to me Tony!” I’m on the verge of tears. “Who do you really work for?”

Tony starts turning red. “Where is this coming from?”

“Does it matter? I saw you tonight, you know. With your little dime bags and all your money. So there's no reason for you to keep lying.”

Tony eyes me. “If you already know, why do I have to say it?

“Because I want you to tell me the truth for once." I am so upset but quickly wipe the tears from my eyes.

"Fine."

"Fine, what Tony? Tell me!"

"I'm a drug dealer for Pandilla."