29 |

🖤 DON'T FORGET TO VOTE THANK YOU 🖤

The hut stood in front of us, the door covered in moss. As we approached I could feel my heart beating. I could feel my pulse in my fingertips.

Klayton looked at me and I almost saw regret pass through his eyes. The door wouldn't budge but I knew why —it was spelled with magic, and I was the key.

"What do you think I have to do?" I look up nervously at Klayton. His hand was gripped in mine.

"Normally most magic starts with a sacrifice to nature," he looked a little puzzled as he ran his hand over the door as if he was looking for something.

"I don't even know what that means! Stop being cryptic," I snapped, not meaning to, but being here was putting me on edge. I could feel the power.

"Do you trust me Adira?" Klayton said while staring down at me.

"Of course," I whispered back. Klayton motioned for me to give him my hand. He laid it in his palm while reaching down onto the ground and picking up a jagged rock. Confusion struck over me but it was too late. The rock pressed into my hand, cutting open the soft skin, blood began to pool.

Klayton gave me no time to think as he grabbed my hand and placed it against the door.

And then the world was spinning.

I felt vomit rise in my throat, the contents of my stomach— turning. When I came to, the bright sun filtred though my eyes. I was standing with Klayton in the middle a road, one that was clearly far from where we just were.

~

When Klayton said 'witch' I wasn't sure what to expect, but it certainly was not the scene laid in front of me.

We were in the suburbs, a densely populated subdivision to be exact. I could feel Klaytons calloused hands squeeze against my own. There were kids playing, happy for this warm fall weekend. I looked down at my hand but there was no cut, not even an indication of what just happened.

Klayton pulled towards a house that looked like all the others, there were even two little girls drawing with chalk on the hot black driveway.

My head and eyes tilted up to meet Klayton's face, I squinted my eyes as if to say, 'Are you sure?' His response was just a brief nod of his head and a pull on my arm. I thought we were going to walk up to the door but he stopped, looking down at the two little girls outside.

He gulped as if he was nervous and then he bowed, his hand pulling me down with him. I was so used to Klayton being in charge that the move threw me off, my feet stumbling at the action. Of course, he caught me, his other arm shooting out to steady me.

"Lady Eleanor, I am sorry to bother you while you work, but I need to request a consult."

Again Klayton's word and formality threw me off. Confusion rang through me. Was one of these little girls the powerful witch? Didn't Klayton say she was old?

One of the girls stood up, brushing off her knees. Her appearance made me gasp. I had never seen such a beautiful girl. Her green eyes popped against her skin, which seemed flawless in every right. Her presence seemed to demand my respect. I felt like I should be bowing again.

Her little arms wrapped around Klayton's legs, hugging him. At the moment she chose to spoke I knew I was right... this little girl was the witch.

When she next spoke, her voice was raspy as if she hadn't taken a drink of water in years.

"Ah, Klayton. I have missed you," She smacks his leg as if chastising him lightly. It was the funniest thing I had ever seen, a little girl telling off an Alpha male. "And please, call me Elle."