Chapter 20: Missing

"What's wrong?" Markus asked, as you continued to scan the crowd.

"There was a person," You replied, finally turning back to him. "Someone wearing a dark hood." Markus blinked in surprise, but it was hard to stand there in the corridor and chat, with all the people rushing past you. Markus pulled you to him, and moved out into the flow of students.

"It doesn't matter. We'll never find them in this. Let's get outside, and then we can talk more about this."

You nodded in agreement, allowing yourself to be tugged along by Markus. You blushed at your close proximity to him, and wrapped your arms tighter around him. You felt a little self-conscious at being so close to him with so many others around you, but in this moment, you did not mind. Markus's reassuring composure made you feel safe and secure.

You followed the groups of students outside, into the main field of the school. You heard the other students whispering around you, but you couldn't make out what they were saying. You turned towards Markus.

"Do you think there really is a fire?"

Markus pondered the question for a moment, before shaking his head.

"If what you said before is true... and there really was someone that would take the time to hide their face like that... then they were likely the one who set off the alarm."

"But why would they do that?"

"I'm not sure..." Markus mused, looking distant in his thoughts. Now standing outside in the field, away from the crowded corridor, you remembered that you were still clinging onto Markus. Embarrassed, you slowly pulled yourself away, hoping he wouldn't notice. To your dismay, he looked down at you and smirked slightly.

"You don't have to let go. I don't mind."

You felt yourself blush, and turned away from him, mentally scolding yourself.

"I-I didn't mean to umm..." You fumbled for the words, "I-I just didn't want to lose you. Wait, that came out wrong..." You looked down, getting more embarrassed by the second.

Markus looked at you curiously for a long moment, before giving you a softer smile.

"I am glad I found you. I don't want to lose you either."

You heart seemed to stutter an extra beat. His answer seemed so warm and genuine, that it surprised you.

You took so long to look back at Markus, that when you finally did, his eyes had trailed down to his phone, where he was typing quickly.

"Who are you talking to?"

"The student council," He murmured in response, "I want to let them know about that person you saw wearing the hood."

You recalled the situation to Markus, telling him how you witnessed that strange person, and how they had started to walk in the opposite direction to the crowd. Markus relayed all the information to the rest of the council, giving them enough details to hopefully track down the offender. Whoever they were, you were sure they wouldn't be able to get away.

As the rest of the students filed out, Markus finished sending the messages to the council, and tucked his phone away. You both sat down on the grassy field, waiting for a teacher to take control of the situation. As you sat beside Markus, you found yourself naturally leaning towards him. You tried to stop yourself, but Markus's presence was so comforting. Seemingly also without thinking of it, Markus wrapped his arm around you. You knew you should have pulled away, but instead, you leaned closer.

"You're shivering..." He said quietly, and you realized he was right. The adrenaline of first getting splattered with water, then seeing the mysterious figure, then escaping the crowds of students had taken its toll on you.