Chapter 1

"Have a good day." The (h/c) girl called out, waving her hand as an old woman walked toward the door of her small shop.

"You too, (Y/n) dear." The old woman smiled gently at her as she made her way out. The door closed behind her with a jingle of the bell as the woman made her way out into the cold wintery evening.

(Y/n) let out a heavy sigh, brushing any herbs that remained on her hands off onto her dirtied, white apron.

Taking a tired breath, she turned around to look at her shelves stocked with various bottles, jars and bowls full of herbs and medicinal potions. A frown appeared on her face when she noticed the almost empty jar of rosemary pushed neatly to the back of the shelf. 

She gingerly picked it up and examined the few remains, "Hm.."

Wasting no time, she grabbed her satchel, pulled on her worn boots and exited her shop.

The streets were busy with people of all shapes and sizes. They lined up at the various stalls to buy food and other trinkets. The delicious smell of bread drifted through the air, causing (Y/n)'s mouth to water. A grin etched on her face; she sought out the direction of the smell, which soon brought her to one of the town's bakers.

"(Y/n) my friend, what brings you here today?" He grinned merrily, pulling a fresh loaf of bread from the stone oven. It steamed slightly as the heat came in contact with the cold winter air.

"The finest bread in the whole village of course." She let out a chuckle, pulling out her coin purse. The gold clattered together as she pulled it out and held it in her palm. 

The man laughed heartily, "I'm glad you think that. Though others would argue differently." He quickly wrapped the loaf in a cloth and swapped it for (Y/n)'s gold.

"You sell yourself short." She opened up her satchel and carefully placed the warm bread in there. It stuck out slightly, not allowing her to close the bag completely, "Thank you."

"Anything for my favourite customer." He waved her off.

Making her way through the marketplace she headed straight for the forest. The crowd began to thin out as she wandered further away from the houses and towards the looming trees.

The snow crunched beneath her boots as she grew closer. The trees creaked and groaned as if they were watching her every move.

But (Y/n) walked on without batting an eyelash. She carried herself confidently into the woods, gently brushing twigs and brambles from her face as she walked. 

Birds began to chirp sweetly as she wandered through the trees. They swirled above her, twisting and turning as they danced in the evening rays of sunlight that beamed through the leaves. Close by, (Y/n) could even hear the gentle footsteps of a young deer travelling through the forest.

Moss clung to the bottom of the trees, blanketed in a thin layer of frost; much like everything else in this region. Grass barely poked out from beneath the thick snow, but small purple flowered still bloomed beautifully, contrasting against the white. The winter was harsh back in the village, but out here, it worked in perfect harmony with nature.

A soft breeze, followed by a golden glow alerted (Y/n) as something shot passed her face. She smiled brightly as the tiny figures flew through the trees to which she set off after the glowing firefly like creatures.

They zipped through the trees dramatically as they lead her through the forest, taking her deeper into the heart, before suddenly stopping and landing on a nearby tree branch. The young girl smiled at them gratefully as she spied a wild rosemary plant beneath the soft golden glow.