Chapter 40

"What the fuck do you want, Omega?" Krey growled as Francis leapt back.

Her green eyes pointed to the ground. "I'm here to make peace."

"No." Krey wanted to storm around her, but it was Pip's hand that held him back. Krey looked down, and Pip looked up with big pleading eyes. Krey, the merciless Alpha who did everything his own way, and took orders from nobody, melted at the feel of Pip's fingers curled around his wrist.

Krey sighed. "Fine. You have thirty seconds," he muttered.

"I didn't tell Jordan a thing. Why would I? I hate the man, and I'm loyal to you and Pip. I knew how dangerous the secret was. I would never have put Pip in that kind of danger. Your respect means everything to me, Alpha. Please believe me when I say that Jordan is lying."

Krey looked her up and down with narrowed eyes. Her dreadlocks were tied back with a thick purple hairband. Her dangling gold earrings shook from nerves. Francis furiously twisted her rings around her fingers. Krey had never seen her so anxious.

"Do you swear on Crescent Pack that you're telling me the truth? If I find out you lied, I will hunt you down and it won't end well for you." Krey felt Pip's fingers slip away.

Francis finally looked up and connected a firm gaze with her Alpha. "I swear on Crescent pack that I'm not lying to you, nor would I ever lie to you, Alpha."

Krey still wasn't completely sure about where to put his trust, but he had missed Francis's company, and Pip needed a friend too. Krey stared hard until she looked away. His gut told him to accept her words as the truth, so he did.

"I believe you," Krey said with his head high. Krey should have said that he should have believed her from the start, but Krey never admitted too much. He was a man of few words, because each word meant a lot when he was Alpha.

Francis relaxed. Relief flooded her face as though she could cry with happiness. Instead, she looked to Pip with a large smile. "Hey," she said.

"Hi Francis." Pip returned the smile, deepening his dimples.

"I'm glad you're finally here. I'm guessing you're here because of Jordan finding out?"

"Yeah, and he lived with idiots." Krey looked down to his mate who nodded in agreement. Krey wasn't going to hold back his anger or the way he spoke to people. Pip had to see how cruel he could be because Krey wasn't sure Pip believed him when Krey said he could be horrible.

"Well, you'll love it here," Francis said, also smelling Pip's nerves. "Alpha, are you announcing him now?"

"Yes. I asked Sid to keep everyone in the canteen."

"Your mother is there too. Did she meet Pip last night?"

Krey frowned. "Yes," was all Krey could mutter before putting a hand on Pip's back and guiding him down the corridor, wanting to get the meeting over with as soon as possible.

As they neared the canteen, and voices echoed down the corridor, Pip started slowing down.

"Are you okay?" Krey asked.

"I-Is Jordan in there?"

"He's still in the cellar."

Pip tugged on the hem of his hoodie. Krey originally wanted Pip to stand by his side, so he could proudly show him off, but his mate was too anxious. "Francis, sit with Pip at my table," Krey said, clamping a hand on Pip's shoulder, squeezing it for comfort. "They'll stare at you, but they're just curious, okay?"

Pip nodded. He could barely speak.

Krey expected Pip to sink into a trembling mess, he just wasn't sure how to soothe Pip's worries.