xv. News Bearer

THE time to go back to Hogwarts finally came.

As soon as I entered the compartment, Ruby and Ernie tackled me in a hug. Without hesitation I did the same.

"Oh, I missed you guys," I said wistfully. "I'm sorry that I disappeared on you two like that, something happened." 

I told them my story from the beginning. Starting from when Professor Sprout woke me up in the middle of the night, the dream Harry saw, and Mr. Weasley getting attacked by a snake.

With every word flowing out of my mouth, the two of them leaned closer to me with their faces set in worry.

"You don't think—?" Ernie gulped.

"The snake. . ." Ruby trailed off.

I could tell that they knew the answers already but I nodded solemnly.

"How is Mr. Weasley?" Ruby said anxiously.

"Much better than before," I replied, then sighed. "I'm so glad he is, too. I can't even imagine what it would be like if he. . .if he didn't make it."

Ruby put a hand on my knee. "Hey, that doesn't matter anymore."

"She's right," Ernie agreed, shooting me a comforting look. "He's alive, Mar. That's all that matters."

I smiled at them gratefully. "Thanks." 

Once again I'm reminded of how thankful I am to have the two of them by my side. No matter what, they always brought me down to Earth whenever my head would get stuck up in the clouds — or in a pit of worry.

I was about to hand them the presents I bought when I remembered what happened after I confronted my parents about the curse.

I decided not to tell them my encounter with Draco on Diagon Alley. Something about it was just better off not being said. 

Sometimes I catch myself smiling at the thought of him wanting to buy his mum the perfect present for Christmas.

I pushed it away. I had more important things to tell them right now.

"There's something else that happened," I said, catching their attention.

As much as I didn't want to relive the moment again, I knew I had to tell them. There was no guessing how long I'll be able to hold it back without going mental.

"From that look on your face I'm assuming that it's not good?" Ernie noted.

I stood up to check outside the compartment to see if there was anybody in the hallways. I didn't want anyone to accidentally listen in or eavesdrop. Rumors spread fast in Hogwarts, after all.

"I asked my parents," I said as I sat. "That night I heard them talking about the curse—I asked them."

Ruby's eyes flashed with curiosity. "What did they say?"

I had to chose my words carefully. Images of the vase in shatters flashed before my eyes, the sound of it shattering echoed in my ears and the gut-tugging feeling made my stomach churn. I decided to keep that part to myself.

Besides, what would I be able to tell them?

"They just said I wasn't ready to hear it yet," I said finally, smiling bitterly when I recalled the conversation.

Whatever Ruby and Ernie were thinking, they didn't say it out loud. In fact, they didn't even say anything. They were just looking at me worriedly, which I didn't like because it also made me worried.