Potions Of Sage

Time seemed to drag on as I waited for Geralt to return. It was growing dark out, the tavern filled with people and Jaskier was singing again. I fidgeted nervously with my dress, the bodice feeling too tight. I tried to listen to the bard, taking my mind off my husband, who was gone for far too long.

"Once there was a lone White Wolf,

With care for naught but prey and coin,

Sent out to kill a wicket witch,

The outcome of the quest unknown." Jaskier sang.

"And once there was an elven mage,

Beautiful and pure and wise,

Brewing potions out of sage,

Not a hint of evil hidden in her emerald eyes.

When the lone Wolf jumped the mage,

He did not kill her for her beauty's sake.

Instead, he freed her from her cage,

Preparing the way for a future they would make.

The elf broke through this frozen heart,

Falling for a man who's made to kill.

With magic potions and healing art

She aided him and continue she will.

For years and years they fought side by side,

Carrying on the Witcher's life.

Love no longer able to hide,

When he took her for his wife."

Just as I thought; the song wasn't helping at all. On the contrary, even. Now I was receiving weird glances from everyone not too drunk to understand the bard's words.

"Stay here, I'll be right back," I told Clim and left for my room. I quickly changed into my usual trousers, blouse and corset, strapping my weapons to my back and thigh – you never know. Only a few minutes later I raced down the stairs. The loud rambling in the tavern had covered up all the noise from outside, but upstairs in my room I could hear it loud and clear.

Shouts. Shouts of my name. It was Geralt. He needed help.

So I ran out the tavern to the stables, not even bothering to put saddle and bridle on Shadow, I just jumped onto her back and urged her down the road, towards the yelling.

It wasn't long before I found him. Bloody and dirty he lay on the ground, right at the seam of the forest, another male lying next to him, just as beaten and bloody. Roach stood right by her master's side, eyeing me nervously as I fell down to my knees next to my husband and gently held his head. Both men were breathing but unconscious. At my touch, Geralt opened his eyes a little and whispered, "A golem." His voice was weak and once the words left his lips, he lost consciousness again.

Fuck.

I have to get them to town somehow. But how without causing more damage to their bodies than the golem did? Hmm... ah fuck.

I heaved the man, Clim's father onto Shadow's back, laying him face down against her mane. Gods, I hope this works. Then I pulled the saddle off Roach's back and tried lifting Geralt onto her back. I grabbed her saddle off the ground and told both horses to follow me, and luckily, they did. When we reached the first houses of the village, I began shouting for help. Most people were at the inn, so only few heard me, and less cared. The few who came out of their houses, though, rushed to find the healer. A man led me to Clim's house and carried the boy's unconscious father inside, laying him on the bed. I had left Roach at the tavern, the commotion lured a few people outside; Jaskier was one of them. I trusted him to get Geralt upstairs into our room. The witcher would need less medical attention; he healed faster and he wasn't as badly wounded as the villager. Even though there was nothing I wanted to do more than hurry to my husband's side and tend to his wounds, as healer I felt I was needed here.

I inspected the wounds. Cuts and bruises mostly, probably broken bones, not much I could help with really, except potions helping with the pain and a salve against infections. But I would need my bag. When I turned to get it, a man was covering the door – the healer.

"Cuts, bruises and a few broken bones," I told him.

He nodded at me. "Thank you, my lady. I'll take over here, you can go tend to the other one," he said, and in a softer tone he added, "Go to your husband, girl. He needs you now."

I nodded at him, a grateful smile playing around my lips as I practically ran out the door, into the tavern, up the stairs and into our shared room.

I stopped, shocked at the sight before me. I had never seen him as beaten up as he was now. I had also completely misjudged his injuries. He looked so much worse than the villager did: pieces of skin missing despite his heavy armour, blood soaking his entire body. But the worst was his face. Even though not wounded much, only a few bruises and cuts littering his handsome features, it almost brought me to tears. His face was distorted into a pained grimace, despite his unconscious state. He was suffering.

Just now, I realized Jaskier was also in the room, sitting on a chair, not taking his eyes off the witcher.

"Jaskier, I will need your help," I choked out, trying to focus on the task at hand. He jumped to his feet, ready to do anything to help heal his friend. "I need bandages. Lots of them."

"I-I'll see what I can do." And then he darted out the room.

I went to my bag, getting out the kettle and the bag filled with all kinds of dried herbs, spices, vials of oil and various other ingredients. Luckily it looked like I had everything I'd need.

I fetched the big bowl from the washing table held my hand over it as it filled with hot water. Then I pulled a rag from my bag. Geralt had to be cleaned first, as much as I could at least. Jaskier had already removed the witcher's leather armour. Carefully I cut open Geralt's tunic. What I encountered underneath shocked me. His entire upper body was covered in black and blue bruised, blood trickling from the many cuts.

"Oh, meleth," I sighed as I began gently cleaning his chest from dirt and blood. Even in his unconscious state his eyes screwed shut and his brows twitched in pain. "I'm sorry, meleth. I know it hurts, but I have to do it," I whispered to his deaf ears, hoping it would ease his pain. when I was done, the water was tinted red. I contemplated what to do now, the elixir or the salve. The salve would be no use without the bandages, and Jaskier still hadn't returned, so I got everything ready for the potion.

I lit a small flame under the kettle and poured in some vinegar. In a mortar I ground garlic, pine needles and dried dwarf everlast to a fine paste, giving it into the vinegar once it bubbled in the kettle. I let it cook for a few minutes and then poured it back into another bowl to cool. The liquid smelled like a sour soup, and I already felt sorry for Geralt and his fine senses. But it was no use, he'd have to drink it in order to get rid of the pain.

While the potion cooled down, I mixed the salve. It was a little more complicated. First, I ground sage and mixed it with thyme oil. Then I heated honey in the kettle. When it bubbled, I added a dash of tea tree oil and just a little bit of water. The honey-oil mixture had to be poured into the mixing bowl very slowly, and it had to be stirred all the time, until it was cool.

Just in time, Jaskier burst through the door, carrying – let's say – loads of bandages. I smiled at him, relieved. The salve was cool now and I applied it onto Geralt's arms, where the golem had ripped entire pieces of skin off my husband. He jerked slightly as the salve first came in contact with his raw flesh, but soon he either sank deeper into unconsciousness or he got used to the feeling – I couldn't tell, but he stopped jerking. His face, though, was still distorted into the pained grimace.

"You'll be alright, meleth," I whispered. Behind me, Jaskier laid a hand on my shoulder and I reached for it, turning my head to smile at him before continuing salving up the witcher.

It took hours to bandage all his wounds, and when we were finally done, the sun already started to rise. Tiredly, I filled the elixir into vials. The last bit I left in the bowl and sat at the edge of the bed, lifting Geralt's head with one hand, guiding the bowl to his lips with the other. "Drink," I whispered, "drink, meleth, it will help you." And he did. After a few minutes, the elixir started to show its effect. Geralt visibly relaxed. I was relieved.

I kissed his forehead and made my way around the bed, collapsing next to him, completely exhausted.