6- Lost And Then Found

DRIVING DOWN A LONG, winding road, Veronica was deep in thought

DRIVING DOWN A LONG, winding road, Veronica was deep in thought. Fox snored peacefully beside her, his head leaned back against the leather seat of her Ford Escape. Albeit the noise was a tad annoying, it provided a sense of comfort to the girl. A white noise in the background whilst she thought about where Dick could be taking Rachel.

Presumably, it would be to his long time friends apartment, Hank and Dawn.

She'd met the two awhile back, during everything that was going down with Bruce and Selina.

Dick was, or rather had been, very close with the two. Along with Donna and the rest of the Titans. He trusted the two dearly, and seeing as how Dick of all people wouldn't know what to do with a young girl exactly, which was one of the most evident things to Veronica (especially the whole commitment aspect), she figured Hank and Dawn were their best bet.

On the road ahead, the girl could see a town approaching. And, as if on cue, Fox then woke up. He let out a long yawn, stretching his arms over his head.

"You're finally awake," Veronica spoke, Fox looking over at the girl and chuckling.

"I was tired, okay? Hey, is that a diner? I could go for food." He replied, sitting up in his seat as he pointed at a brightly lit up sign.

Veronica looked at her partner, sighing. "You're buying this time, I paid the last."

Fox nodded eagerly, "I'm fine with that, as long as I get some food in my stomach."

As the girl pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant, Fox opened the glove box and placed his handgun inside.

Veronica looked over at the man, raising a brow.

"Really?"

"What? I don't think the cashier would be too willing to serve me food if she saw I was carrying a pistol with me. Plus, this thing is annoying to bring around all the time."

The girl nodded at his point, reaching over his lap and placing her gun beside his, closing the compartment.

"You've still got your taser though, right?" Fox asked.

"Of course." The girl grinned, patting her pocket. You really could never be too careful.

— x —

"I think this is the best burger I've ever tasted." Fox mumbled, face full of food as he let out a sigh of content. Veronica chuckled, nodding in agreement.

"It is pretty damn good." She said, taking a sip of her Root Beer. She didn't realize just how hungry she was until she stepped foot into the restaurant, the waft of greasy burgers and other foods overwhelming her senses.

"Hey, you know what makes no sense?" Fox asked, looking away from his juicy burger to the girl sitting in front of him. "How you like Root Beer. It tastes like toothpaste."