39 | bad kind of butterflies

| meliorism |
chapter thirty-nine

| meliorism |chapter thirty-nine

  ҉  ҉  ҉

The longer she stared at the clock, the more she understood the illusion of time. It was slowly aging her, and getting her tired. It had been already three weeks since she had gone back home, and the time passed by flying, not slowing her to give it a second glance or even grasp it.

After very much thought, she had finally decided what she was going to do. She was going to chase the truth, not for anyone, but for herself. It was about time she did something for herself.

Rhena was staring at herself in the mirror, deep down, not wanting the time to pass. With each second, she grew increasingly more anxious and nervous about what was going to happen. She tried not to think about it, she really did, but her mind had other plans.

   She looked at her bed, where she already had a bag full of clothes ready to take with her. She was not planing on staying for more than 2 weeks, but if something turn wrong, she could had to make a quick decision and leave. Anything could happen in the compound.

    Slowly, she walked towards the bed and closed the bag, letting out an exhaled. She turned to the nightstand, where two necklaces were waiting for her touch. She eyed them before sighing and taking one at a time, adorning her neck with them. One was a necklace with a little star as it's pendant, she had discovered it in her box, and soon remembered Damon had given it to her as a gift in one of her birthdays. The other one was a longer, with a gray oval rock as it's pendant, one that had been given to her by her aunt.

Not wanting to think much of it, she simply let them set on her neck and took her bag, zipping it close. She made her way to the door with a slow pace, but just as she was about to leave, she looked back. The room felt empty, now that she was alone in there.

She tried to refrained herself from looking at her reflection, fearing that she would only find a foreign version. Nonetheless, she looked at the mirror, where red eyes and dark veins crawling all over her skin looked back at her. That was her, but why didn't she recognized herself? All she saw was a monster, someone who was capable of destruction with just one bad touch. Was she the monster of her own dreams?

Rhena shut the door, stopping herself from going into a spiral of emotions. She exhaled, looking at the door where her name and her sister's was printed. She touched the surface, and with grimness, she walked away from it.

    When she was walking down the staircase, she felt the different emotions radiating from the people in the living room. She knew they were all opposed to her decision, and part of her agreed with them, but this was her only opportunity. If was going down, at least she would know the reason behind it.