39. Time for a Re-do

Draco stared at Harry in pure disbelief. He couldn't believe that this conversation was going the way that it was. He thought, for sure, Harry would throw him out the window; that was probably the least he deserved, after all.

Harry sighed slightly and conjured up a cushioned chair to sit in front of Draco. Leaning forward and clasping his hands on his knees he said, "Look Draco, I think you're an idiot, I really do," Draco stifled a smile with a cough but let Harry continue, "But you make Hermione happy and, I am willing to overlook that to help you one last time."

Draco shifted on the bed and frowned at Harry. Confused, he asked, "What do I need help with? I've already spoken to Hermione."

Draco watched as Harry looked at him pointedly and pulled the very familiar black, velvet box out of his pocket. Draco's insides went cold; he had completely forgotten about the ring in the midst of the last few days. Remembering how cruel he was to Hermione for throwing it at her he hung his head in shame, his voice caught in his throat. "Oh." He crocked simply.

Harry reached forward and placed a reassuring hand on Draco's shoulder. He flinched slightly at the unexpected warm gesture from his old enemy but immediately accepted it, feeling like his and Harry's relationship was slowly taking a turn for the better.

The room was silent for a moment as Harry let Draco process his thoughts. Eventually, Harry held the box out and Draco took it, toying with it in his fingers sadly. He was looking at his feet and thinking about the events of their horrible date but could hear the smile in Harry's voice when he spoke, "Hermione is very forgiving. You, of all people, would know that." Draco looked up to meet Harry's gaze and returned his smile, feeling warmth slowly spread back over his skin. "Give it to her."

Draco sat up straight and, for the first time in his and Harry's history, looked like his eyes were welling with tears. "What if she doesn't accept it Harry?" He asked anxiously.

Harry laughed and leaned back comfortably in his seat. "She'll accept it Draco. She punched Ron over you."

Draco's mouth fell open, "What?!" He watched as Harry clapped his hands together and started to laugh harder, "Oh she didn't tell you? Yeah, Ron apparated back to my house this morning, absolutely covered in blood!"

Draco's eyes grew wider and his head buzzed with thoughts he couldn't form into sentences. Harry's laughs slowly died down and Draco watched him wipe a tear from his eye. "What are you talking about?" He asked pressingly, becoming increasingly concerned, confused and slightly amused.

He waited, almost impatiently, as Harry took a deep breath to stop himself from laughing again. Still smiling broadly, he recounted what had happened. "Ron came to visit this morning when he heard you had woken up, knowing that Hermione would be here. He came to try and persuade her to be with him." Draco's every thought was immediately clouded with fury and jealousy but he leaned forward , soaking in every word as Harry continued, "Hermione was absolutely furious after what happened, we all were mind you, so as soon as she saw Ron again-" He was now doubled over, gripping the arms of his chair tightly and laughing uncontrollably, "She punched him square in the nose!"

Draco had never felt more confused in his life. He frowned slightly watching Harry try to control his laughter and speak again. "Don't get me wrong, Draco, I love Ron. But, Merlin, he is a tactless idiot!"

****

Half an hour later he was stood at the door of his room waving goodbye to Harry who was walking away back down the corridor. Closing the door carefully, he finally let every emotion he felt spread across his body and threw himself onto the bed smiling like a madman.

Staring up at the ceiling he tried to recount everything Harry had told him. About the argument between him and Ron. How Hermione, even though he had just broken her heart, still defended him furiously. How she threw one of her legendary punches straight into Weasley's stupid face. He let himself smile wider remembering Harry tell the story of Ron apparating into his home, blubbering about 'stupid girls' while trying to stem the flow of his bleeding nose.

Draco reached into his pocket and pulled out the little, black box and the story Harry had told about how he ended up with it broke his heart all over again. How could he be so stupid. Weeks of planning to be ruined by one, idiotic overreaction.

His heart started to beat wildly but he knew, he was ready. He needed Hermione to know that the silly games ended now. That he was ready to commit himself to her happiness for the rest of his life.

Sitting up slowly he thought of Harry. He had never imagined, in a million years, that he would be thankful for that man, grateful for every single favour he had given him. Without Harry bloody Potter, he wouldn't have the most perfect, intelligent beautiful girl by his side.

A short but firm knock interrupted his thoughts and the door immediately swung open.

"Mother!" Draco said surprised, immediately jumping out of bed and shoving the black box into his ack pocket; it was a conversation he didn't particularly want to have with her at this moment. "What are you doing here?"

She walked forward and engulfed him in a tight hug. "You didn't think I'd let my only son go home by himself, do you?" She held on to his shoulders and looked at him from arms-length. "Come on, I'll have Tilly make you something palatable to eat. We'll celebrate your health!"

But all Draco wanted to do was see Hermione. Now. "Oh, no thank you Mother. I have somewhere to be."

Narcissa shot Draco a disapproving look and grabbed his hand, practically dragging him out the door. "No where is more important than being home right now. Come. That's an order."