𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕

ECONOMICS is an important subject and if everyone understood it a little better, the world would run so much smoother. So why do they make it so impossible to understand?

That was the question Bree scribbled at the top of her current event for her Intro to Economics class. Some of the stuff written in her book might as well have been in Chinese for all that she could understand. Who was it that said this was an easy A?

The phone rang and Bree reached over lazily to answer it. When she saw the name on the Caller ID, her heart leapt within her chest.

"Hello?"

"Baby girl!" her mother's voice rang clear through the receiver.

"Mom!" Bree didn't realize just how much she missed her mother until she heard her voice.

"How are ya, Honey?" Christie asked.

"I'm good." Bree said quickly. "What's new with you?"

"I didn't call to talk about me, kiddo! I want to hear about you." Bree's mom laughed.

That should have been Bree's first clue that something was up. Christie's calls were always prompted by some new development in her own life that she couldn't wait to share. Catching up on the happenings of her daughter's life was just a side effect.

"There's nothing much going on here. Just school...oh, and my truck died. I'm totally dependent on Dad for rides now. It sucks."

"No friends with cars?"

"I don't want to burden anyone."

"Oh, you wouldn't be a bother, I'm sure. Especially if there was a certain guy whose interest you've captured..."

Bree frowned even though her mother couldn't see her. It just seemed like such an odd thing for Christie to say.

"I'm trying to get a job so I can get another car," Bree changed the subject.

Christie changed it back.

"Jobs take up too much time. Then you can't hang out with friends...or other significant people of interest."

"Mom, what's going on?" Bree finally faced the obnoxious line of questioning.

"Nothing. I just want to make sure you're okay, that's all."

"Uh-huh. What's with all the significant other speak?"

"Is there one?"

"No."

"Really? Because your dad said-"

"Ah hah! I knew you were fishing around for something."

"I just want to know what's up with you. Your dad mentioned that you were dating someone. How come you didn't tell me?"

"I did tell you."

"You did?"

"Yeah."

"Oh. Well what happened?"

"We broke up."

"Why?"

"It's complicated."

"Gee, Bree. Don't confide too much in me. I'm only your mother, after all."

Bree laughed at her mother's pretense of hurt feelings.

"C'mon, Baby. Your dad actually called me. Which means he must be really, really worried about you. Should he be?" Christie asked.

"No." Bree shook her head. "I don't know why he called you. I'm totally fine."

"He said you sit in your room a lot and that you cry at night when you think he's asleep."