19

If anyone likes the show Vikings, check out Brave in the Heart, it's a fave of my own books, I'd be so grateful. Xx

Lucille

Lucille

When Lucille woke, Tommy was still asleep. Her head lay dangerously close to his, so close that she could feel the tickle of his breath carrying whisks of her hair.

She felt dirty, laying next to a man when her husband was fighting. She told herself there was nothing to it- they had just fallen asleep closely. Adam had never really been a husband to her, anyway, but it still made her stomach sag. She wondered if he would come home. She wondered how she would feel if he did. Would she be happy? What would she do? But most of all, she wondered if she would care if he didn't make it through. But she hid the cruel thought in the back of her mind.

She shuffled slightly, looking up to watch as his eyes fluttered open in surprise. He was disorientated at first, startled by the fact that he had been asleep. He smiled down at her and she laughed lightly through a grin in return.

"That's the first time I've ever seen you sleep." She whispered. "How do you feel?"

"I feel good." He spoke quietly back.

"Good?"

"Yes." He began simply. "All thanks to you."

"All I did was sing." She said, blushing slightly. She seemed to be doing that a lot lately.

"You have a beautiful voice." He complimented, and she flushed even darker.

"You think?"

"I do." He nodded. Her voice was not like velvet, but it was pure and pretty. He loved it. He wanted to hear it for the rest of his life.

"My father says it sounds scratchy." She said, as she glanced across at him again, meeting his sparkling eyes with her own.

"You sound like an angel." He said, and she raised her brows, no longer needing to blush at the compliments. Lucille was surprised by all of the kind comments he had been making. They were new and he hadn't talked to her as much as he did the past few days.

"When I woke up downstairs after you'd helped us, I thought I'd gone to heaven." He said

"Stop trying to flatter me." She said, as she rolled into her back, forcing her gaze away from his face and instead to the ceiling that had begun to rot.

"I'm not." Tommy answered honestly, shaking his head. He lifted himself into his elbows, his chin angling so he could rest his eyes on her turned face.
"I thought I'd died. But I wouldn't have been in heaven."