52

After coming clean with Hermione, Alexandra found that she felt freer- like a burden had been somewhat lifted. She grew more adept at Legilimency, and was in a much more jovial mood around her roommates and housemates in general. She wasn't friendly by any means, but she also wasn't mean. She attended study group sessions, sitting quietly by herself, piping up only when her peers were at odds with answers or stuck, which didn't really happen as often as one might think. Then came exams. Hermione often sought her out an hour or so after each one was finished to prattle on about the answers they'd gotten. She'd given up on comparing notes with Harry and Ron. When the last exam was over, Alexandra didn't know what to think. She was a little sad to know that the summer holidays were near, and she'd be leaving Hogwarts. Leaving Hermione. And there was the fact that she'd be stuck with her brothers. The twins and Ron had almost made her school life hellish, with their constant concern and treating her like a child who needed to be looked after. She decided not to think about her siblings or Hogwarts or Mahoutokoro. She went to visit Snuffles that evening. She quietly snuck out with some food for him and sat beside him, letting him eat and rest.

"I didn't think I'd see you in here." Alexandra tensed as she turned around.

"Why are you here?"

"I'm sure you already know, dear granddaughter."

"You're Voldemort's host. You're not actually him." She sneered. He glared at her and she rolled her eyes. "You're here for the philosopher's stone."

"I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that you've tamed the beast."

"He's not a beast." She defended and Snuffles growled at Quildemort. "Are you going to hurt him?"

"Now why would you think that?"

"Your master likes hurting things."

"Not this time, I'm afraid." He set down a harp and muttered a charm. The harp began to play a beautiful lullaby and Snuffles started to fall asleep. As soon as all three heads nodded off, Alexandra stepped to the side. "Come with me, I may have use for you yet."

"I'm not helping you." She said firmly.

"Do you honestly believe you have a choice?" He stepped forwards. "Don't think we haven't seen how chummy you've gotten with the mudblood. It'd be a shame if she got hurt, now, wouldn't it?"

"Don't call her that!"

"It's what she is. A mudblood."

"She's a muggleborn and the smartest person I know. Leave her out of this."

"Come on then. Down the rabbit hole." She hesitated. "Unless you'd prefer her to become Nagini's next meal." Alex glared but opened the trapdoor.

"There aren't any steps."

"You're to jump, Alexandra. You aren't afraid, are you?" She glared but jumped into the dark hole. She landed on something soft, but sturdy. She felt something slither across her and quickly moved to get out. Quildemort did the same.

"You could have warned me there'd be devil's snare." She muttered.

"Where's the fun in that?" She rolled her eyes but followed him down the hallway. They walked into a room. "Ah, winged keys." He smirked. "Accio door key with the broken wing." A key zoomed into his open hand and he rushed to open the door before chucking the key back into the air. He ushered Alexandra inside before locking the door again.

"I'd rather be stuck out there than in here with you."

"Those keys had already decided you were a target, the moment we found the right one."

"And I'd still rather be out there." He did not look amused and Alexandra just looked away. He led her through the chess game unharmed, and they found themselves facing a troll.

"I know you're quite good with trolls, would you like to take this one?"

"No."

"There's only so much insolence he'll let you get away with." Quirrel glared. "Or would you like your mudblood friend to face his wrath?" Alexandra narrowed her eyes, but stepped forward. The troll noticed her too late as she launched herself upwards climbing the troll until she reached its head. She'd done the same thing to the troll that she'd done the last time, letting it try to swing its bat at her, and jumping away the last minute so it had hit itself. Quirrel smiled, looking almost proud of her. She walked away, heading through another door. Quirrel followed. Voldemort had been surprising silent the whole while. She decided not to comment on it. Who was she to complain? She let Quirrel examine the potions before them, reaching for a parchment. "You're up again, Alexandra." She looked at the parchment.

"It's a riddle." She noted.

"Yes, I see that." She studied the riddle.

"I don't know." She eventually said. "I don't understand it."

"Are you lying to me?"

"No, I just don't know the answer. You figure it out. You're the one who wants to get past."

"Look carefully and figure it out." He said.

"As far as I can tell, three are poison. Two are simply wine. Another will help you get forth and the last will take you back. But I can't tell which is which. I'd be more than happy to guess, though there is a possibility that I may choose poison."

"You're very mistaken if you think your grandfather will be bested by something as mundane as poison."

"He was bested by a one year old." Quirrel snarled.

"Choose the right one, Alexandra, because we both know your grandfather will survive. I might be sacrificed for now, but he will come back, and when he does... well the fate of your friend depends on you." He sneered at the word 'friend'. She turned back to the potions, trying to fight tears.

"This one." She picked up the smallest vial.

"Go on, then."

"There's only enough for one."

"I'll use a refilling charm." Quirrel said. She nodded and took a sip.