Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Unexpected Gifts

KENNEDY

The first few days at my new job flew by. I was so busy getting to know the job and my way around, that I didn't have time for anything else. I learned the subway, found a good breakfast place, and figured out my way around the maze that was my new workplace.

The place was constantly buzzing and I learned so much in such a short amount of time. It was stressful and the pace at which New Yorkers moved was insane, but I loved it. The new colleagues were helpful, at least for the most part. There was a couple of grumpy employees, but I didn't let that bother me. There were always a few at every job, and the rest of them were supportive.

Nash had texted me on Tuesday afternoon to see how the new job was going and asked me and Sammy to come to the game on Friday followed by dinner as his guests. We happily agreed, of course. I didn't hear anything else from him during the week, but it was understandable since the Empires had to travel for an away game that Wednesday. I watched the game on TV from the couch in the apartment.

Sammy did have a newfound love for hockey but with her work schedule she wasn't able to stay up and watch it. She watched the first period with me but she kept yawning to the point where I finally told her to go to bed. She did and I shut the TV off and watched the remaining periods in my room. Nash played good of course, but he wasn't as on fire as he had been for the last home game.

I got a text from Josh after the game, offering Sammy and me the same seats again for the Friday game. I declined. I had hesitated for a few seconds before I sent the response deciding whether I should tell him that Nash had already given us tickets. In the end, I decided it was the right thing to do. It was a lot better to be upfront and honest about things even if they were uncomfortable, than to just tell half-truths.

Josh took the news better than I had expected. I ended the conversation by telling him we would see him at the game.

******

When I came home from work on Thursday evening, Sammy was busy in the kitchen making some kind of baked pasta dish. I could smell the sauce as soon as I opened the door and it made my stomach growl.

"That smells so freaking good!" I shouted as I pulled my shoes off and left them by the door.

Sammy peered her head out from the kitchen and smiled. "It should be ready in five minutes."

"Awesome. I'll go change."

I hurried into my bedroom and changed into a pair of leggings and a fluffy sweater. I pulled my hair back into a ponytail and walked into the kitchen.

"Do you want a glass of wine?" She seemed to be asking just for the sake of it because she had already poured me a glass and held it out to me.

"Ugh, are we celebrating something?" I asked and did a mental inventory of her birthday and any other important date I might have missed. As far as I knew, there was nothing. It was very unusual that she was awake since I had gotten home late and even more so that she had cooked dinner.

Sammy giggled and nodded her head. "Kind of."

"Okay," I responded and took the glass from her while I waited cautiously for her to continue.

She raised her own half full glass to mine. "Cheers," she grinned and took a long swallow.

"Cheers."

I took a zip while I studied her. Something was definitely up. "What are we celebrating? What is going on with you tonight?" I asked. She was usually never this excited when I came home.

"I'm going on a date!" She practically bounced on her toes and her smile was so wide I could see all her perfect teeth.

"Oh, good!" Her excitement made me chuckle.