THREE

* * *

"Where are you, Simon?"

Princess Lauren mumbled to herself as she scanned the empty cottage.

Well, the place isn't completely devoid of anything; the furnitures are still there and some manly clothes are still in the dresser. The plates and utensils are still in the cupboards and some books are still on the shelf. Tales of fictional romance and comedy were the themes of the few remaining books on the shelf but it did not fail to attract the princess. It was the first thing she approached the second she managed to open the locks of the cottage door.

But there was no sign of anyone else occupying the cottage.

It was as empty as the soul of that bastard who murdered her family.

Simon was one of her tutors when she was younger. He taught her languages, introduced her to many different literary genres, war time histories and music. Her keen interest in archery was inspired by him because he was the best archer in all known lands. He was her father's closest friend, confidant. He was offered the highest place in the emperor's counsel but he respectfully refused. He wished to lead a peaceful, common life despite his insurmountable skills and extended knowledge. Far from all the chaos politics and governance brings.

Her father granted his request with a heavy heart because Simon was like an older brother he never had, someone he looked up to, and letting him go was hard for him. Lauren was only ten years old the last time she has seen or heard of Simon and it has been ten years since.

She knows Simon lives in the southern region, by the edge of the forest and the grand river that separates the south from the yellow desert. She knew that he opted to keep his mother's cottage after leaving the grounds of the imperial castle. And that was the last information she knows about him.

It broke her to many million pieces to have witnessed her parents' murder. It broke her a million more when her personal guard dragged her away from them and shoved her onto the escape hatch in her closet. She didn't have a chance to properly say goodbye to them; she didn't want to say goodbye in the first place at all. But she knew that when the worst has come to it's very worst, she must leave through the secret hatch. But being the stubborn princess that she is, she fought alongside her personal guard, hoping to avenge her father and mother's deaths.

She had never felt such violence course through her veins until she saw Brad bury his blade onto her sleeping father's heart then proceeded to slice her mother's throat. She had never felt such a strong impulse to mimic exact same vile act upon him.

Princess Lauren was still awake that night because she just couldn't refuse her personal guard's challenge in a game of chess. Shawn Mendes was a young promising warrior whose first mission after graduating in the imperial knight academy was to protect the princess at all cost. He used to think that the princess was a typical royalty born and raised in unlimited privileges, narcissistic and selfish. He didn't expect that the princess was incredibly kind and generous, intelligent and funny, humble and gracious. It didn't take long for him to change his opinion of her and gained a lifelong friendship.

It has been a habit between them to challenge each other in a game of chess. On most occasions, Lauren was the victorious one and Shawn was the whining loser. However, the young imperial guard learned a few lessons in his previous losing streak and eventually won two games to one that particular night. The princess was the whining loser this time. The young guard couldn't stand it and feeling a little bit more confident, he challenged the princess again for another game. In which he unfortunately lost. They ended their game that night so late, both of them winning two games each.