Chapter 7 - Struggles

Elena's POV

I sat on the edge of the bed and stared at this tumultuous bubble of energy before me. She wasn't the least bit phased of the consequences that could arise. Who is she?

"I don't think that's a good idea," I noted with a raised brow.

"Oh, it's a brilliant idea! Don't you want to breathe in some fresh air? Have a cocktail or two by the pool?" She began walking further into the room.

"Angelo -" I began.

"I'll handle Angelo. Don't you worry about him." She smirked, rubbing her hands together.

"Are you his girlfriend or something?" I queried out of curiosity, her confidence and lack of fear towards Angelo making me wonder.

"Oh, good God, no!" She exclaimed.

"My name's Katena, people call me Kat for short. And that handsome Ragazzo (boy) that stood with you in the kitchen earlier would be my fiance, Gio. Giovanni when he's in trouble." Her hands were on her hips now as she grinned. 

"Oh..." I nodded with a chuckle, their exchange earlier making sense.

"Who are you, Cara (dear)?" She asked me, sitting down on the chair by the dressing table.

"Um..." I thought about this for a moment. I need to keep my identity a secret for now. I know they will eventually figure it out, however, right now I was a nobody. I wasn't related to anyone specific and the second I drop my real identity I become a somebody with a target on my back.

"Eva," I mumbled, looking at my fingers as I twiddle them around one another.

"Pretty name. So, what do you say? Fancy a Rossini (Italian cocktail)?" She smiled enthusiastically.

"I've never tried one, but sounds lovely."

"Awesome!"

"On one condition!" I paused her. "I need a shower after that one cocktail."

I bunched up my hair, gathering it into a bun for now.

"Of course, we can -" She paused as if moving my hair away gave her a better view of me.

"What happened to your face!? Who did that to you?" She shrieked, standing and walking over to me.

"It's nothing. I'm fine." I brushed it off.

She went silent and I could see her mind assuming along. She then took my hand, leading me out of the room and down the stairs. When we reached the bottom, she turned to face me with her hands on my arms.

"Are you here willingly?" She spoke in a whisper.

"What?" Could she really be completely oblivious to it all?

"You heard me." She crossed her arms.

I stood shifting from one foot to another, avoiding eye contact with her as I opened my mouth to try speak dishonestly.

"That's all the answer I need." She spoke above me, stomping away with her hand in mine.

We shuffled through the house and kitchen, stepping out onto the deck. She stopped, glancing around us before her eyes landed on them.

Angelo and Giovanni were sitting on the steps in the garden. Angelo had changed his clothes and was now in more casual attire. It was different, but of the good kind, because he pulled it off way too well. 

They were chatting among each other with Angelo running his fingers through his swarthy hair in frustration as he spoke. As he lifted his head, his eyes met mine. His mouth sat agape, his scowl shifting between Kat and I. I noticed him lean forward, linking his hands in between his legs. He shook his head and spoke to Gio one last time.