The Beast of Napa - Preview

THE REBELLION has been completed, and I'd like to give you a preview of my next work, THE BEAST OF NAPA. 

This is a different style then I've been writing, so I hope you like it. 

THE BEAST OF NAPA will start in April!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They said he only wore black and gold because it showed both his darkness and his wealth. His family name was Griffin, but no one knew his first name. No one could get close enough to find out.

But that didn't stop them from trying.

A heavy purse made any man attractive, and Griffin was no exception. It wasn't that he was bad to look at. In fact, his strong shoulders and crystal-blue eyes made him a much sought-after bachelor; but his demeanor and his profession had been the subject of gossip and slander, to the point that many didn't risk association with him.

Except, of course, on the last day of the month.

It was the only time Griffin came to town. He had no interest in mingling with townsfolk, no interest in forging a smile to make a sale. He would have rather spent his time at his family vineyard in the countryside, regardless of the fact that half his staff wasn't thrilled to work for him. But owning a business required the periodic trip to the bank, and since Griffin trusted no one - and no one wanted to assist him anyways - he ran the errand himself.

So today, Griffin was in town.

He stepped out of the bank and into the warm autumn sun, bracing himself to be solicited by businessmen, charities, churches, and - of course - women who felt like they needed a wealthy husband.

Today, that woman's name was Sara.

"Have you a dime?" she asked, her mouth smudged with cheap lipstick.

He straightened his jacket cuffs in disinterest. "I have enough dimes for a hundred dollar bill, but you knew that already."

He noticed her eyes light up at the notion.

"Why, is that your fancy car waiting over here?" she asked dramatically, her acting skills far less impressive than the women who had tried this sort of thing before. "I was wondering if we had a celebrity visiting our little California town with that car's gorgeous shine."

"That shine is nothing more than a trick of the eyes -- a little sun and grooming can make anything look better than it is." His eyes grazed her gaudy, lop-sided dress, and he raised an eyebrow. "You might follow that example if you have the time."

Griffin began to step away, but the woman's hand wrapped around his bicep to stop him. He ruffled his lips, turning to her.

"I was wondering if you could help me with a small problem, good sir."

"Doubtful," he muttered to himself.

"You see, I was trying to get back home. My dear sister is waiting for me - she's sick, you see - and it seems my shoes have completely worn out."

She pointed at her feet, showcasing a pair of sandals that had been obviously cut. He laughed to himself, impressed by the dedication, then looked up at the sky, nodding in thought.

"Well, today seems to be your lucky day, Miss," he replied.

Her smile widened in anticipation as she wrapped her arm around his. He slid out of her hold, pointing to the sky.

"With such a beautiful autumn day, you can walk barefoot anywhere you please."

He attempted to walk away again, but she tightened her grip on his jacket. He huffed, not attempting to disguise his impatience.