40. Strangest Turn of Events

Narcissa had apparated Draco back to Malfoy Manor and was now walking briskly down the driveway, her coat wrapped tightly around her. Draco stood where they had landed with his hands deep in the pockets of his trousers and looked up at the grey, cloudy sky in frustration. His fingers played with the box still tucked deep into his pockets and let out a huge sigh. His Mother was determined to bring him home and wouldn't listen to a word of his protests. Eventually, he unwillingly followed Narcissa down across the law; hoping that whatever she had planned would go quickly and smoothly. He needed to see Hermione desperately.

Narcissa was waiting at the door of the Manor with a grin plastered across her face like Draco had never seen before. She looked unsettlingly happy and that made Draco's stomach churn.

"Mother, what are you doing?" He asked worriedly, furrowing his brow.

She looked at him coyly and her impossibly wide smile grew wider. "Well Draco," she said happily, "I've been thinking the last few days, and I mean this with no offence, but you are getting older and it's about time you settled down I think."

"What!?" Draco spat back at her, pulling his hands out of his pockets and furiously throwing them in the air, "Mother, please, I've already had this conversation with you! I don't appreciate you playing matchmaker, at all."

Narcissa stayed calm despite Draco's outburst, the smile on her face still unwavering. "Well sweetheart, I just know you've been having some trouble recently-"

"Nothing you need to be concerned about Mother. I am quite capable of handling it myself." He grumbled angrily, now frowning furiously and staring off back down their drive; the thought of how quickly he could run and disapparate without her dragging him back by his ear playing on his mind.

"Oh please," she laughed, "your love life has been disastrous." Before Draco could protest, which he was about to angrily, she held up her hand and continued, "Please, Draco, just one dinner party. For me?" She looked at him happily and he knew he didn't have a choice. Her mind was already made up, there was no way he was getting out of this.

"Fine, Mother, but," he looked at her suspiciously and crossed his arms in anger and impatience, "I swear to Merlin, if it's Pansy Parkinson again I will hex her across the room. No questions asked."

She laughed again but didn't say another word. Instead, she opened the door grandly and walked towards the dining room. Draco stepped inside and an immediate sense of dread overcame him; he wasn't sure whether it was because of whatever his Mother had planned, or because he was back in the cold, dark halls of his home. He followed Narcissa. The house was completely silent except for his footstep echoing against the walls. As he rounded the corner towards the dining room, he thought of the warmth he felt this morning. Laying in his hospital bed with the love of his life; he couldn't wait another moment to see her.

And he didn't have to. Because, sitting comfortably and happily in the seat across from his Mother was her, sipping a glass of dark, red wine and laughing warmly at something Narcissa had just said.

"Hermione!" He exclaimed in shock, stopping dead in his tracks. "What are you doing here?"

"Draco! Don't be rude to our guest!" Narcissa looked up at him and threw him a look of disapproval. "I invited Miss Granger over for dinner. A 're-do' of sorts. Please sit quietly and don't interrupt our conversation." She turned back to Hermione and resumed talking. Hermione looked at Draco with her beautiful smiling face and gave him a quick wink, before returning her gaze to Narcissa and continuing to listen intently.

Draco was dumbstruck by the whole ordeal. Slowly taking his seat at the head of the table, Tilly the House Elf appeared and began to place plates of food and drink in front of him. He watched Hermione curiously, almost waiting for the catch; his Mother had to be up to something. But she looked to happy, so comfortable. Almost like she was enjoying the conversation she was having with Narcissa.

Without looking away from Hermione, Narcissa spoke, "Draco, if you have something to say to Hermione, please say it. It's rude to stare." Hermione covered the wide smile that appeared on her face by taking a large sip of her wine and briefly met Draco's gaze again before finding the painting on the opposite wall very interesting.

Draco cleared his throat and felt a rush of blood warm his cheeks but ignored his Mother's comment. "May I please speak to you in the other room Mother?"

She let out a tinkling laugh and held her wine glass to her lips. She looked at him over the rim, her eyes practically sparkling with joy and said "No Draco, whatever you have to say can be said at the table. Hermione is family after all."

Draco's mouth fell open and he pushed back in his chair. He glanced over at Hermione who was now staring down at her plate, her cheeks heavily flushed but with a wide smile on her face.

Narcissa leaned forward and slapped Draco's hand lightly. "Draco, close your mouth. You're at the dinner table." She then turned back and placed a gentle hand on top of Hermione's. With a much softer voice she spoke sweetly to her, "I'm so sorry for his behaviour my Dear. I promise, I have raised him much better than this." She threw one more pointed, but amused, look in Draco's direction and took another sip from her glass.

Hermione laughed in reply and said, "Don't worry Mrs. Malfoy. I'll continue to train him up, I promise." The two women then laughed together and continued eating.

Draco sat, mouth still agape, watching the entire, bizarre interaction. He couldn't believe his eyes, his Mother and Hermione Granger getting along? He felt, for sure, he must have been hit by another car. There was no way this was reality.

Finally, after a pause, the surrealness of the moment became too much and he stood up, suddenly, from his chair. The sound of the wood violently scraping against the stone floor making both women stop their laughing and stare at him curiously.

Hermione reached her hand to touch Draco's "Sweetheart," she spoke in a soft voice, "What are you doing?" He looked down to meet her curious, yet slightly worried gaze, and felt his body soften slightly. Still standing, he took a deep breath and exclaimed, with no ounce of Malfoy politeness left in his body, "Alright, what the bloody hell is going on here?"