58 The Group Chat

Jonas~~

I feel entirely uncomfortable.

Brydan sits across from me in our tucked away booth. The table has business cards for companies I've never heard of laid underneath the glass top. It's late—10:23. I know because I can't stop checking my phone.

I didn't want to stop. We're still four hours from the airport. But Brydan pointed out a motel that was behind a restaurant and wouldn't stop nagging until I pulled over. I can't think of a single time I've stayed in a motel. Brydan already made me stop for lunch—fast food that did not sit well in my stomach. I only recently got over the feeling that I was going to throw up every five minutes.

It's not like I have a plane to catch. The plane will take off when I tell it to, but still, stopping for the night feels like I'm accomplishing nothing. Not when Erik is still missing. Not when I don't know if she's alive.

Brydan flicks the saltshaker. "Would you relax?"

"I don't want to raise questions as to why we're here."

"We're eating."

I deadpan at him, and he shakes his head at me.

The waitress sets down the beers Brydan had asked for and then takes our orders. The pen shakes in her hand as she writes them down.

Once she's gone, I take a swig of the beer, letting my eyes drift closed.

"I can't believe my best friend is in love."

I open one eye. "I'm not in love."

He drinks from his own bottle. "Says the guy wallowing in love."

"If anything, it's pain."

"Without pain we wouldn't have love." He takes a longer drink this time. "Did you two ever kiss?"

Now it's I who take the longer drink. "Yes."

"Anything else?"

"No."

"Your determination to never have a one-night stand is impressive. Your morals, sir. . ." He clicks his tongue and raises his glass to me. I don't humor him.

"They are more guidelines for not having illegitimate heirs."

"Sure."

"I'd rather talk about your love life. Mine's just depressing."

Brydan shrugs. "There isn't much to talk about. The last guy ended up using me to get back his ex."

"Maybe love is a topic we should just stay away from."

Brydan takes a sip of his beer. "Good idea."

My phone buzzes in my pocket: a text from Eli.

Eli: That girl was a tramp. Good riddance I say.

Before I can unlock my phone, another text comes through. This one from August.

August: Guys have you seen my tie?

I unlock my phone and watch the texts roll in.