viii. A Blessing From The Wild

╔═══════════════╗

chapter eight.
( titan's curse )
❝ a blessing from the wild! ❞

╚═══════════════╝

So, I guess Hades gift isn't useless. Pulling it out of my back pocket was gross, however. Being attacked by the Nemean Lion and falling from heights ended up cracking and crushing some parts of the bottle, and the liquid was leaking out onto my hands.

"Oh, gross."

We were crossing the Potomac, and I was trying to wipe off the access on Percy and my dagger.

Percy frowned and swatted my hand away from me ruining his new coat. "Is that hand sanitiser?"

Quickly, I lied—I didn't know how'd he react if I said I had Hades chitchatting with me on a daily basis. "I forgot to take it out."

"Why are you wiping it on your dagger?"

"Why not?"

He just rolled his eyes and looked out of the window. For a second, he looked bored, until he spotted something. "It's a helicopter."

"What?"

I leaned over to see, and there was in fact a helicopter. It was sleek black, and it seemed to be coming straight at us. And by the look on Percy's face, he knew it and it was definitely a danger.

"They know the van," he told Zoë. "We have to ditch it."

Quickly, she swerved into the fast lane. The helicopter was gaining.

"Maybe the military will shoot it down," Grover said hopefully.

"The military probably thinks its one of theirs," said Percy. "How can the General use mortals, anyway?"

"Mercenaries," Zoë said bitterly. "It is distasteful, but many mortals will fight for any cause as long as they're paid."

"But don't these mortals see who they're working for?" he asked. "Don't they notice all the monsters around them?"

Zoë shook her head. "I do not know how much they see through the Mist. I doubt it would matter to them if they knew the truth. Sometimes mortals can be more horrible than monsters."

The helicopter kept coming, making a lot better time than we were amongst D.C traffic.

Thalia closed her eyes and prayed, "Hey, Dad. A lightning bolt would be nice about now. Please?"

But the sky stayed grey and snowy. So sign of a helpful thunderstorm.

"There!" Bianca said. "That parking lot!"