Chapter 10: Somewhere, Nowhere

< how do we tell the sea that
we're on ground, sinking? >

-Anonymous.

Aria's PoV:

If I could ever wish for the earth to open up and swallow me whole, like 2012 the movie, This morning would be my top pick for the catastrophe to happen.

We're currently on our way to the grocery store, and we haven't said a word to each other since we climbed into the car.

Comfortable silence Is so overrated *a line in one of Harry Styles' songs.

The radio is turned off and neither one of us is ready to get out of this invisible shell we built for ourselves and dare to turn it on.
I wonder if the radio is made of hot lava.
Or just lava. Since there's no such thing as cold lava, since we're avoiding it at all costs.

Any who, the drive lasted about twenty minutes, probably as long as Tom Holland can keep his mouth shut and not spoil an Avengers movie, if not shorter.

When we reach the store, we get out of the car, grab a random shopping cart and start putting random essentials in it.
I grab about a dozen flaming Hot Doritos bags and Nickolas raises an eyebrow at me.
"I don't judge you choices of food" I blow him off easily.

Then, he scoops up several boxes of Oreos with double stuffing, and it's my turn to raise an eyebrow at him with a twitchy lip as well.
"Oh, keep it shut" he tries to sound serious but fails miserably and we both burst out laughing at our food obsessions.

I decide to also bring some DVD movies so we can watch at evenings and of course don't forget the chocolate chip ice cream.

We buy numerous items of vegetables and fruits, plus all the canned food like tuna, beans, sauces, olives, and pickles.

We end up going to the registry to pay with three full carts, and I pull out my credit card to pay but he beats me to it and hands the cashier his first.

I furrow my eyebrows "We are both eating these, so we should equally pay" I try reasoning with him logically.

"It's ok, I've got it" is all he says before we drag the carts outside to stuff the items we bought into the trunk of the car.

When we climb in the car this time, awkward silence seems to take a break and he turns on the radio, Memories by Maroon 5 starts playing and he taps his fingers on the steering wheel rhythmically and I hum along to the beat.

On the outside, we looked like a normal couple doing basic grocery shopping, that everything was fine.

Everything is not fine.
My whole life changed in the spur of days and my mind is confused.

*Superb meme*

•••

We go home, empty the filled bags into the black kitchen cabinets and fridge and I feel like crawling into the nearest sofa and watching tv with ice cream till my brain freezes over.

"Hey, I was thinking. Let's watch a movie " I grab a bunch of DVD movies and showcase them to Nickolas, maybe he'd like to watch movies with me.

"Sounds pretty awesome although I have somewhere I should be. Don't wait up on me" he says and all of a sudden I'm not in the mood to watch tv any more.

Is this 'somewhere I should be' a code name for a girlfriend or a secret mistress?
I'll chop off his family jewels if he ever thought of doing this to me.

Even though, I'm fully aware that our relationship is nothing but a scam, he shouldn't be going fucking some other chicks around. I don't care what anyone says.

After second thoughts, why should I sit here overthinking while a container of chocolate chip ice cream and The Godfather movie sequences are waiting for me?

I snuggle into the cold sofa with a blanket on top and a spoon to scoop up tasty ice cream and silently rewatch the iconic seventies movies.

Towards the end of the second movie, meaning most likely 5 hours later, 3 different snacks and ice cream, my eyelids started getting heavy on their own.

When keeping my eyes open seemed more impossible than Tom Cruise's aging process, I felt them close and I gave in to sleep.

•••

A/N:

You're hot then you're cold,
You're yes then you're no,
You're in then you're out,
You're up then you're ........,

[ finish the lyrics to this legendary Katy Perry song 🤩]

If you want more updates, please vote and comment ❣️