Chapter 15

300 Years Ago: Helen Heights

I thought fighting hundreds of Lycans was painful, but I could sadly report that labor was on a whole different tier. My water broke this morning, right when the sun painted the sky in pinks and oranges. Twelve hours later, and I was laying on the dirt floor of my house in shrouds of hay and blankets.

My house was a simple hut. Everything was in one room: kitchen, sack of hay which fashioned as my bed, and a little latrine. Charrissa, the town witch and my friend, lived here as well and had her own "bed" only a few feet from my own. The house itself was made from lumber, most likely some type of pine or oak. I never asked or cared for the specifics. We had a few men from town help us build. Due to its simplicity, it only took a month to complete. We didn't need something fancy, as we both knew that we were not going to stay there for long anyway.

My knees were bent and legs spread apart so Charrissa could see if and when I was crowning. The position in itself was comfortable and very revealing. She said I was dilated, the exact number, I had no idea.

Every time a contraction hit, it made me realize how big of a mistake I made. The baby inside of me, even though it holds more of my love than I knew possible, was also part devil. Therefore, she belonged to the Devil himself.

Hades made good on his deal. He gifted me with the life span and strength of the Lycan, but let me maintain the skin of my wolf. He also trained me how to fight. One hundred years was how long it took to be trained, master my new abilities, obliterate the Lycan's armies, and fall pregnant with Hades' baby. Apparently Hades had wanted a child for a long time, but fell into many troubles along the way. Zues, and the other Olympians, made it nearly impossible for him to ever conceive. They made it so Hades could never conceive a child in the Underworld, could never be with a human, or someone with Hell in their blood. That basically eliminated other demons and witches, as witches were said to be created from the blood of Hades. Actually, it was said that they were created from an experiment he did to create a prodigy. As one can guess, it did not turn out the way he wanted, and ended with the creation of a whole new species... But no child of his own. So that basically just left the species of the Lycan and Wolf to mother his child, and to be conceived on Middle Earth.

Lucky for him because technically I was both Lycan and Wolf, and due to the Blood Moon coming around every two years, he was able to conceive on Earth. Hades was cursed to be bound to Hell, so the only time he could make physical contact with Middle Earth was when it was the Blood Moon. He could also make contact at places of his worship like the Silver Limb. So for ten years, we tried to conceive, and on the fifth Blood Moon, I fell pregnant.

I would be lying if I said that I didn't develop feelings for him over the years we spent together, so procreating the child was...fun. Yet, a few months into the pregnancy I learned the truth. I was the means to the end. I overheard him talking to one of his servants about how after I gave birth, he was going to take the baby from me and leave me behind. After I heard that, I ran.

For the remaining six months of my pregnancy, I moved to the America's and landed in the state of Massachusetts. My friend Charrissa moved there around fifty years ago. Charissa was around 130 years old, but looked around fifty. To slow her aging, she drank Demon blood a few times a year. She had developed a few mental disabilities, but because she did not drink it weekly (which was what one does to permanently stop aging) she did not conjure terrible effects.

She was great through it all. She was able to cast a spell to prevent Hades from finding me, but it was only a matter of time. As the pregnancy progressed, the more I knew, no matter what, Hades could not have it.