Chapter 22

Adalee's POV

Walking out of the room, we head to the city. It's a long walk, but Alicia makes it exciting for us. She tells us jokes and we play games, trying to pass the time.

I'm walking beside Victoria, hand in hand. Soon, we all fall into silence, just enjoying the summer breeze. Victoria looks at me quickly, and then asks, "How was living with your sister?"

I sigh, knowing she was going to ask this at some point. "It wasn't too bad. She made me my favorite breakfast. But, I learned something about my family's history that I wish I hadn't." Pausing, I look to her. I see her questioning face and know she wants me to continue. "My mom was a mermaid hunter and passed down the talent to my sister. I can't even imagine my mom killing anything, she was so sweet."

Victoria tightens her grip on my hand, saying, "Mermaid hunters haven't been a big problem for us in many years. They usually hunt the rogue mermaids who got kicked out of the kingdom for their crimes. They haven't targeted the kingdom in forever."

Wow. So, my mom didn't hurt and kill innocent mermaids. That makes me feel a bit better. "I can't help but feel like this was my fault. If you hadn't saved me from drowning, then your sister wouldn't have been kidnapped by Alyssa. This all would have been avoided," I say sadly. I can't think of a way that this isn't my fault.

Victoria stops walking, making me stop with her. "Then I would've never met you, and my life would be worse for it." She leans in slowly and kisses me gently.

She pulls away with a smile, and we continue walking to the Fairbeach mall.

Victoria speaks after a little moment of silence, "I hope you know I'm sorry for trading you over. There was no good option, but I knew you would be safe. And I thought you had betrayed me, so that influenced my decision. I'm sorry."

Looking to her, I smile. "I know. I forgave you the moment it happened. I could never be mad at you."

Step after step, we get closer to the mall, anticipating our arrival. I wish we were there already.

We pass through the city, having to get to the center of it. I look at all the culture that is different from my own. Everything is so lively and bright, everyone seeming so positive about life.

Life here is very different, and I can get used to it.

Arriving at the mall, I see an intricately designed walkway leading into it. As I look around, I notice all the stores are well decorated and different from the ones I'm used to.

We walk into one called 'Sea Bloom,' and I see all kinds of clothes I like. Not wanting to spend too much, I pick two outfits, knowing I can just wash them and alternate.

Victoria is not happy with that, picking up piles upon piles of clothes for me. We go to check out, and I notice Alicia, Kate, and Elle all picked up more clothes for me.

We leave the store and go to the next one. The next one has more formal wear, Victoria saying, "You need some outfits for more professional occasions. You can't keep wearing my clothes, they don't fit you."

Going with it, I pick out a lot of light pink, white, and yellow dresses and blouses, and a few different colored skirts. I see one stunning gold dress, sequins all covering the bodice, the skirt flowing out with large amounts of tulle. There are hints of white tulle in the skirt, making me fall in love with the color design.

Victoria walks over, watching me stare at this extravagant dress. She immediately checks for my size, grabbing it, and checking out. I insist, "It's fine. I don't need it."

She continues to the check out, pretending not to hear me. Rolling my eyes, I let her buy it for me. I will probably need a formal dress like this some time, so might as well get it now.

We have to get it fitted, so we are coming back another day for that. I will get it fitted when I decide on a time I can wear it.

After a little more shopping, we leave, many bags of clothes in hand.